Inverter / ebike battery charging

paul2

Hi

I have just purchased an ebike with a Bosch active line plus motor and a Bosch power pack 500.

The charger has an Input of 100-240v 50/60hz 1.6a and an Output of 36v 2a.

So my question is when i'm in the van and no EHU is available what type and size Inverter do I need to charge the ebike battery ? (I have never used an Inverter before)

All advice and recommendations welcome.

Thankyou

Paul

600W (constant, not peak power) will be more than adequate and capable of powering more than just the bike charger if necessary. 240V x 1.6A =~400W with conversion losses + a bit extra margin.

Just be mindful that it won't be the healthiest thing on your leisure battery as it is quite a load at 12V. A better option would probably be to wire the inverter to the engine battery and charge the bike while driving.

I charge my two bike batteries at the same time from my 600w pure sine wave inverter. This is without mains connection, no engine running, just the solar panels (2x 80w) and 2 x 110 ah gel batteries.

In sunny France or Spain there is enough spare solar power to provide a small charge to the leisure batteries.

All this assumes that the bike batteries are not fully discharged, they take a bit more current then, but usually my batteries are around half to two thirds discharged.

Note the pure sine wave inverter, they are a bit more efficient and don't blow up delicate electronics like the "modified square wave" inverters are prone to. They cost a small amount more but are worth it.

H

So to summarise all the above, a Pure Sine wave inverter of about 200w peak, or 100w continuous should draw about 8 amps. That current draw should be fairly easy to put back,into the batteries by either driving or Solar.

You could use a modified Sine Wave Inverter, but they are generally lower quality, less efficient and can damage some sensitive electronics.

Note that just like Lead Acid batteries, if you discharge an eBike's Lithiums too Deeply it can shorten the battery life.

The growing consensus seems to be that for the best compromise between life and usability, try not to discharge them below 60% - 70% Depth Of Discharge (DOD) and recharge them as soon as you can.

Don't store them in a discharged state, always fully charge first.

Archived