Inverter to run E Bike Charger

AndyLou

Hi I am looking for an inverter to charge a couple of e bike batteries.

I am thinking that one at time will do or both if people think it possible.

The charger adapter says input 100-240VAC 50/60Hz 90W

DC Output:+36V 2A

What I want to know is will a simple inverter like this one work? Links below.

It seems simple enough in that it works off a cigarette lighter socket.

I have a socket in cab area (2005 Fiat Ducato 2.8td) which uses engine battery, I can use when driving and I have one in a cupboard that runs off the leisure battery (Varta LFD90 supported by 150W solar) .

Please advise would you go for this? If not what would you go for bearing in mind it is just for the bike batteries?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/300W-Power-Inverter-Peak-500W/dp/B089G4WKQD/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/258-0149175-9408151?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B089G4WKQD&pd_rd_r=b9910b46-e264-40b0-bf20-aa7cb7806f18&pd_rd_w=dx1Kr&pd_rd_wg=d8N3m&pf_rd_p=4d243aa6-d88e-4de2-9cbb-cd5cf6bb2669&pf_rd_r=VC3RJF7ERF0J4RT0C0Q0&refRID=VC3RJF7ERF0J4RT0C0Q0&th=1

href="https://www.amazon.co.uk/300W-Power-Inverter-Peak-500W/dp/B089G4WKQD/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/258-0149175-9408151?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B089G4WKQD&pd_rd_r=b9910b46-e264-40b0-bf20-aa7cb7806f18&pd_rd_w=dx1Kr&pd_rd_wg=d8N3m&pf_rd_p=4d243aa6-d88e-4de2-9cbb-cd5cf6bb2669&pf_rd_r=VC3RJF7ERF0J4RT0C0Q0&refRID=VC3RJF7ERF0J4RT0C0Q0&th=1">This

We use a similar invertor to charge our bikes, but I would note that you need to check what your 12v outlets can supply, NONE OF THEM will give you the 300w that invertor runs at if you decided to run something higher powered, and IIRC many spec 5a (60w) as maximum. I just hardwired the invertor to the battery with a fuse and switch.

I have a 600w Pure Sign Wave inverter installed and hard wired to my leisure battery plus a 100w solar panel.

Seems to cope with all sensible loads......some also charge when travelling as you suggest.

Paid somewhat more for my inverter from a good manufacturer.

EJB - 2020-08-03 4:37 PM

I have a 600w Pure Sign Wave inverter installed and hard wired to my leisure battery plus a 100w solar panel.

Seems to cope with all sensible loads......some also charge when travelling as you suggest.

Paid somewhat more for my inverter from a good manufacturer.

Same here, 600w pure sine wave inverter, charges two batteries no problem. The cheaper "square wave" inverters can damage the chargers, and they make toothbrush chargers fail! The battery chargers run much cooler on the pure sine wave as well.

H

Thanks for the replies.

For those that have inverters could you share the make and model/ Nothing like a recommendation when searching through the huge amount of choice available.

The inverter I posted the link to says it is a pure sine wave inverter do you have any reason to doubt it?

I understand that the cigarette socket might be under powered but I was hoping somebody would tell me what is required for charging 1 or 2 batteries.

If I hard wire it to the leisure battery and I charge batteries up while driving will the used amps be put back by the alternator charging?

Thanks

Must admit hadn't seen that it said 'pure sine wave', had just assumed it was a 'modified sine wave' like ours, and at that price I think it's highly unlikely to be 'pure sine wave', for bike batteries it shouldn't make any differance, but for inductive chargers like toothbrushes it will probably knacker them.

p.s. yes the alternator should replenish the battery, but remember for bike batteries you should be charging little and often, i.e. don't wait until it's flat and also if possible don't charge it to completely full and then put away for a long period without using.

I used very briefly a modified sine wave and it blew the laptop charger which cost more than the inverter.

I now have a 1500w pure sine wave superbly wired into our Motorhome, not just one socket but all.

This is the inverter I use:-

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/42-600W-12V-pure-sine-wave-power-inverter-230V-AC-output-UK-socket-with-powerful-USB-charging-port.html

FWIW:-

Little mention is made of cable and fuse size when installing inverters.

I installed a 100 amp fuse on both red and black leads.

The recommended leads are 6.5mm.

Overall fairly expensive.....but safe!

"The inverter I posted the link to says it is a pure sine wave inverter do you have any reason to doubt it?"

"If I hard wire it to the leisure battery and I charge batteries up while driving will the used amps be put back by the alternator charging?"

The inverter in the link is very poor quality and I doubt will be pure sine wave. Inverters are a high voltage power source and must be treated with the same respect as any mains voltage source.

The inverter I would recommend is a Victron inverter, 5 years warranty and designed in Europe,

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-phoenix-pure-sine-wave-inverter-12v-250w-vedirect-enabled.html

or the slightly more powerful unit,

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-phoenix-pure-sine-wave-inverter-12v-375w.html

I strongly suggest you connect direct to the leisure battery

Assuming the E bike battery is a 36v 10Ah battery and the charger is rated at 2 amps, to fully charge from flat is going to take over 5 hours.

With no charge going into the LFD90 leisure battery there will be around 35Ah taken out in this period, about 1/3 of its capacity.

With good solar conditions the 150 watt panel should keep up with demand and driving should also keep the leisure battery charged.

Connect the 250 watt inverter to the battery with 6mm2 cable and fit a 40 amp midi link fuse and holder in the positive cable, as near the battery positive terminal as practical. Keep the cable length between the battery and inverter to a minimum. There is a safety earth connection on the inverter casing , connect to a suitable earth point.

All the parts can be obtained from a company like 12v Planet.

The inverter I recommend has a remote switch enable, this is useful where the inverter is installed in an inaccessible location.

Mike

colin - 2020-08-10 10:49 AM

There are several companies doing chargers that plug straight into 12v, but when I set up none where doing a charger with Bosch plug, which is why we went with invertor.

I'm not sure whether I picked this up on here some time ago....

https://powerbutler.de/en

...it's a pity that they appear to have excluded the UK from their delivery options (impending Brexit?) as I quite fancied one. They provide connections for our two (different) e-Bike types, and either a single with two interchangeable connections, or a double with connections for both, would have been quite an attractive proposition.

Probably a bit off topic but my m.h. inverter is 3,500w and is located within a few feet of the leisure batery and connected with heavy duty (100a) cable. Charges my 48v, 12.6Ah battery with no problem. I do, however, keep any eye on the charging current and the leisure battery voltage. Although the inverter is German made I don't think it is a pure sine wave device.

This is all interesting everyone. We are looking at getting an ebike, and in my youthful ignorance I had assumed that the 3 pin sockets in the van would be good to charge an ebike battery. I apologise for my lack of electrical knowledge, but whilst connected to site power 2000 W draw has been no problem.

A typical battery is 300- 500W as I understand it.

Please go easy on your replies :-D

K2 Rum - 2020-08-18 4:46 PM

This is all interesting everyone. We are looking at getting an ebike, and in my youthful ignorance I had assumed that the 3 pin sockets in the van would be good to charge an ebike battery. I apologise for my lack of electrical knowledge, but whilst connected to site power 2000 W draw has been no problem.

If you are on EHU on a site then yes you can simply plug your charger into one of your MH's 13 Amp sockets.

The OP was asking about charging the batteries when NOT on EHU, ie whilst driivng or camping without EHU hence the replies about inverters.

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-08-18 5:33 PM

K2 Rum - 2020-08-18 4:46 PM

If you are on EHU on a site then yes you can simply plug your charger into one of your MH's 13 Amp sockets.

The OP was asking about charging the batteries when NOT on EHU, ie whilst driivng or camping without EHU hence the replies about inverters.

Keith.

Also the 300-500w is wH capacity of battery, the power drawn to charge them is (usually) quite low, around 84w, they do take a long while to charge from flat to full, but the recommendation is to charge little and often.

Archived