Inverters, generators and sine waves

Guest Bill

Guest T.Smith
Hi Bill, Personally, I havn't got a clue (and I write for a motorhome mag - not MMM) but hang on in there, somebody will no doubt be swooping down soon to enlighten you. Don't worry,whatever your problem there's worse off than you. It's been heavily hinted at that I've just laid out a £100 on a device that one website expert compares to homeopathic medecine (which I don't believe in). There's also another colleague who is at this moment hacking away down the Spanish coast with condensation in one of his double glazed windows! (hope it's not on the sea view side). Tony S.

You are correct mostly. Some cheap generators use alternators with non ideal pole shapes such that the form factor is not perfect. But, they are all a lot closer to pure sine waves than square waves with gaps which is what is provided as "modified sine wave" from the lower cost inverters But, what AC equipment do you intend to run that will be that fussy?

To make it basic:- In theory a generator/alternator produces a pure sine wave In practise the wire coils (windings) and lumps of metal (poles) are not made perfectly and so do not pruduce a true sine wave Some are so crude as to be almost a square wave - need a diagram here - / \_/ With some inverters you can be nearer to a sine wave - but they cost money Generlly (but not always) the more expesive the better wave form But again as the rated output increases so does the cost So are you paying for a greater output or a more pure sine wave output? Not realy any help is it? You require some independent test of these itemsto be able to make comparisons

What confuses me is that now "modified sine wave" inverters now use HF switching technology it should not cost any more using the same power components to produce pure sine wave. Its now all to do with marketing I guess.

Archived