Inverters

hymer1942

A pure sine wave will be a safer/better option in any case, especially compared to really cheap modified sine wave inverters. But it also depends on what you're trying to run on it. Phone/laptop chargers and such won't care much, things that rotate i.e. electric engines will have problems.

Go with PSW and avoid thinking about what can be plugged in within power rating limits.

Any power supply using a 230v supply will work harder converting a square wave. More heat and possible problems with component failure.

Sine wave 230v is very much like your normal mains supply and any 230v device will run without problems.

Stick with a pure sine wave and you won't regret it, I have tried both and if you want a cheap square wave 600watt square wave inverter I have one for sale :-D

H

hymer1942 - 2018-10-01 7:03 PM

Thank you for reply . Whatever I get will have to boil a kettle. Barrie

I dot not think that is a good idea, unless it is a very low wattage kettle. An inverter powering a low wattage (850watt} kettle will draw about 80A from a 12V battery, when allowance is made for the losses in the inverter.

Drawing such a large current, even for a few minutes, will have detrimentel effects on the battery.

I strongly recommened using a gas kettle when not on EHU.

Alan

A 12 volt kettle would save the inefficiency of going through an inverter.

But I still wouldn't recommend one. Producing heat takes a lot of current and the electrics in a van are just not up to it - nowhere near as powerful as the engine.

Use gas - or mains hook up

Archived