Isle of Mull

bodach

Argyll & Bute Council are proposing parking charges on any spot on Mull they can find. Of particular concern it is proposed that motorhomes and camper vans be forbidden in the main Ledaig car park in Tobermory as well as along the Main St. There is at the moment a furious argument going on involving a small but very noisy faction who hate motorhomes and those of us who own such vehicles and all are in opposition to the charges. Some motorhomes of course do not help by parking nose in to the railings on Main St. and thereby blocking half the street. The back streets are not suitable for parking motorhomes and blocking views from house windows and monopolising spaces needed by locals again does not help. Certainly while my vehicle is parked in front of my house it does not block the view but strangers trying this will probably get told not too politely to go forth and multiply somewhere else. The large car park at Fionnphort is also targeted which will not help anyone wanting to go to Iona.

Of particular concern is that they also intend charging for the main ferry car park. This will cause massive problems for locals going to Oban as ferry time at the moment at least cannot be relied on and large fines will be levied if a ferry is late. It is airily assumed that everyone has a smartphone and if a boat is late top up charges can be paid this way. There will also be a full time warden to enforce the rules and charges.

To an extent you are right but many of the motorhomes are hired and the hirers just do not care. Just been talking to someone from Croggan who complained about the smaller camper vans with no toilet. Near his house the area is polluted with human faeces from wild campers hiding behind trees.

To an extent you are right but many of the motorhomes are hired and the hirers just do not care. Just been talking to someone from Croggan who complained about the smaller camper vans with no toilet. Near his house the area is polluted with human faeces from wild campers hiding behind trees.

At the moment nobody knows when or if the restrictions will start. They are being fought tooth and nail which may delay the process. Meters would have to be installed but no idea how long this could take.

At a guess by the spring you should be ok but summer is most likely the start. There is a tourist office of some kind at Craignure who could tell you nearer the date of your visit. Probably get their number on google. I should also point out that there is no free parking in Oban except well outside the town centre but as far as I know no other restrictions. Should say Tesco and Lidl have 3 hours free each but Lidl can be congested.

One problem is most current day mh'ers stack up with food and drink at a town supermarket for cheap prices, then drive to places like Mull where they park up and live off their cheap supplies they've bought miles away, so the local community benefits from nothing other than flogging a few ice creams.

Some years back i toured the Outer Hebrides and mh folk were doing that then where i've always spent money in the locality, eg on Barra i had breakfasts at a Cafe in Castlebay, then the Airport cafe for an evening meal.

It saddens me when i hear of mh areas being closed off as Scotland is literally UK's last remaining area with a fairly open attitude, particularly with ''wild camping''. England is very anti-mh and overnight parking almost impossible....not even allowed on motorway service areas which is pretty bonkers.

We have stayed on Mull many times, usually staying at Sheilings campsite at Craignure, got very sad when the 'Mull Railway' closed, Have had overnight 'wild camp' stays at Calgary bay, Croggan and other beautiful spots. We are Always gone the following day, and never leave any sign of us being there.

Shame if some campers are abusing the place and annoying the local population.

We used to buy food at the Craignure store or drive up to Tobermory to the Co-op.

It will be a pity if motorhomers are no longer welcomed, as we always were.

We will stick to Campsites in future.....but, we will need to park when visiting Tobermory Craignure etc., IF you want Tourists ? Make them welcome.

It's understandable that the locals everywhere will get fed up of motorhomes cluttering up their naighbourhood, especially if they block the view or leave rubbish or worse. It's only going to get more and more contentious until central government works out how to provide reasonable parking to meet the inevitable demand.

It works well enough on the Continent for motorhomers so why not organise a workable system in UK?

starvin marvin - 2018-12-20 12:27 PM

Too far north and too wet and cold for me.

Dont know what you are missing, but go in May or June to miss the 'the wee midgy devils'.

A very beautiful part of the World.l

Ps We live in a coastal area, which welcomes Tourists.....its not hard.

StuartO - 2018-12-20 12:15 PM

It's understandable that the locals everywhere will get fed up of motorhomes cluttering up their naighbourhood, especially if they block the view or leave rubbish or worse.

It's only going to get more and more contentious until central government works out how to provide reasonable parking to meet the inevitable demand.

It works well enough on the Continent for motorhomers so why not organise a workable system in UK?

Central government is not responsible for local parking issues - and long may it stay that way.

( It's bad enough when they impose housing estates ! )

;-)

starvin marvin - 2018-12-20 12:27 PM

Too far north and too wet and cold for me.

This sums it up perfectly...."if you don't like the weather in Scotland...just hang on for 20 minutes" (Billy Connolly).

I've spent entire stays there in little more than t-shirt and shorts but as Ray said it's a good idea to avoid the midge season. I'm lucky in they don't seem to fancy my blood but i've seen some folk really badly bitten.

North west coast scenery is simply stunning and well worth the trip.

Well speaking as a regular visitor to that beautiful part of the world I have to say that although I am disappointed, I am not surprised. I have seen vans gathering in the carpark not well parked and taking up more than one space ( to be fair I have also seen various trailers of locals parked there for prolonged periods too). I groan when I see vans parked on Ballamory Main Street, nose in or otherwise on the other side of the road, there is just not the room to do that!

I cannot see an easy solution to this problem as there is no obvious land that could be made into a carpark or an obvious place for vans to park.

It's a problem of their own making to some degree as Tourists are being invited/ encouraged to visit, but like the NC500 ( don't get me started) they want the revenue and have invited the masses but have not provided the infrastructure to cope with the increased numbers of visitors.

I will continue to visit, but have been visiting in the quiet season, from October to April... It's not the midges that put me off during the summer, it's the other pests. It's not a great place to be when the roads are busy but please please don't improve the roads and take the character of the Island away.

Saddened

K :-(

Archived