Italian Trip

Guest Stuart

Guest Stuart
Thinking about a first time trip to Italy, May/June, probably away 3 weeks or so. Done quite a bit in Europe but not Italy. Does anybody have any specific suggestions of suitable route and areas to visit for a couple of old g**ts? Thanks in advance Stuart

Guest Brian Kirby
Stuart We're going that way about April. I'm generally avoiding french autoroutes and Switzerland. South East from Calais to Obernai, just South of Strasbourg, then East across Rhine and SE across Black Forest to Reutte in Austria (just E of Garmish), S to Landeck and Nauders, over Resia/Reschen pass, and into Italy down Adige valley to Merano and on to Bolzano. Can all be done without tolls, vignettes or go box. After that it's all a matter of why you're going and what you like. Turn left at Trento for Venice, straight on for Verona and Florence. Almost everywhere is worth visiting - unless we bombed it during the war! In 3 weeks you'll probably need to stay in the North, but that gives plenty of scope. Italian roads are relatively slow, and can be a bit of a strain. Autostradae are much quicker point to point and the tolls are fairly reasonable. Take your time to "tune in" on arrival, though. Italian driving takes a little getting used to and there's no point in trying to rush things right at the outset. Have fun Brian

Guest Mick t
Went south east France and the Italian lakes last May/June.Good weather but watch for snow in the Alps, some of the passes may not be open.

Guest Mel E
Allowing for the journey there and back (I agree, go via Germany & Austria, coming out at Verona), then you really only have a couple of weeks actually in Italy. Spend 3 nights visiting Venice (there are excellent camp sites just a frequent vaporetto ride away) - it's still one of the 10 greatest cities in the world. Then go down as far as Siena (much smaller but much more beautiful than the rather disappointing Fiorenze), see some of the countryside (the Piano Grande is superb) and then wander back up via Pisa and San Gimingnano and, OK, spend a day or so in Florence ( a good camp site overlooking the city near the large copy of Michaelangelo's David. Try to spend time in a few places rather than skating around. Italy needs in-depth visiting.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
I was going to suggest Belgium - German - Austria The coaches use this route to avoid the Frech Motorways I forget the route numbers But not the towns Antwerp - Koln - Frankfurt - Munich - Innsbruck - Then over the Brenner Pass into Italy You need a box thing for Austria (or a Vignett if you are under 3500kg) You can follow the Brenner route down to Milan or Rome regions

Guest Wills Wagon
Here goes. It always fascinates me that many others go via Belgium, Germany and Austria. Last year in late May we went to Lake Garda using French N roads and the Italian motorways stopping on the way. From Calais to Pescheria on Lake Garda was 860 miles. Calais, N43 to Reims, the first part is a little slow then through Troyes, Dijon, Chalon, Macon, Bourg and Chambery. A quick dash to the Frejus tunnel,toll 39.70 Euros. The road after the tunnel was quite poor due to roadworks but the autostrada to Turin, Milan and Brescia was quick. Italian drivers are a little mad. They drive very close behind to read the small print on your number plates, rush past and cut in to examine the small print on the front plate and then quickly disappear into the distance. Speed limits don't bother them! The Italian tolls came to 29.60 euros. We paid these by credit card as we went. We saw no snow except on the top of the Alps.

Archived