Jump Start

Peter Boyle

Peter Boyle - 2020-04-06 8:39 AM Like most people on this site I need to jump start my Auto Trail Apache,.

https://tinyurl.com/vj55qmz

I use one of these to charge the battery via the cigarette lighter sockets once connected with vans ignition on just run donor vehicle for around 15 mins at around 1500 rpm and your van will start

(It's not as add suggests jump leads)

Any clean part of the chassis or engine ideally the thicker the better. If your van battery is that low connect the leads and run the donor vehicle for around ten mins before trying to start as this will lessen the surge on the leads and given you a better chance of starting.

I would draw your attention to this article by the late Allan Evans of aandncaravans who many of us held in high regard for his knowledge of Motorhome electrics.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/jump-starting-a-motorhome.php

All vehicles have moved on from the way we used to jump start or bump start vehicles in the past. Technology has made vehicles expensively complex and easily damaged.

Davy

Peter’s Apache is a 2014 model and, hence, based on a Fiat Ducato X250.

The relevant Ducato Owner Handbook includes a ‘Jump Starting’ section and, although the position of the under-bonnet connection for the positive (+) jump lead should be plain from the drawing in the Handbook (and Peter has said he was able to find the + connection point) it’s not immediately obvious from the drawing (attached below) where the designated negative (-) earthing point is.

I’ve never owned an X250, but from the drawing it looks like there is a dedicated earthing ‘stud’ immediately in front of the bonnet-stay’s hinge.

There is a need for some care when jump starting a modern vehicle.

Not too long ago a neighbour bought a nearly new Mercedes-based Westfalia campervan. After playing about with the new ‘toy’ (raising and lowering the electrically-operated roof, etc.) the following morning the starter-battery was flat as a pancake - and they were due to go to a rally that day. We had a helluva job jump starting the vehicle using one of his cars, but eventually the Westfalia reluctantly deigned to burst into life.

I asked him later whether there had been any subsequent problems and was told that, after they had set off towards the rally venue, it was noticed that the radio and sat-nav were dead.

1829832388_jumpstartpoints.png.1c2ff06227f6022bb974ad56baf23898.png

I bow to the advice from others, but I seem to remember this being discussed before and advice offered to disconnect the leisure battery before jump starting.

IFRecall, nasty things can happen to the charging circuitry as the relays open / close and the leisure battery acts as a ballast for both vehicle batteries.

Maybe someone can confirm

Rgds

Ps. I should have read the link above before writing this *-)

tonyishuk - 2020-04-07 7:04 PM

I bow to the advice from others, but I seem to remember this being discussed before and advice offered to disconnect the leisure battery before jump starting...

It has (sort of) come up before - this 2017/2018 forum thread refers.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Jump-Starting-Again-/47873/

Archived