Keeping both Motorhome batteries charged?

BML

As the start of autumn provokes me to switch my electric blanket on the thought crossed my mind that I really should do something about ensuring the two batteries on my Camper stay alive and well so I’m looking for the most effective method anyone can advise me off.

My experience is the leisure battery rarely suffers from discharging as the systems are all shutdown. The vehicle battery however will discharge within a few weeks. The onboard charger puts plenty of charge into the leisure battery , but little into the vehicle battery, some vans the vehicle battery receives no charge from the onboard charger. Same applies to many solar set ups, and in my case the van is stored under cover, so solar gets little sun.

My answer is a solar panel(and regulator) set up to directly charge vehicle battery. I got a cheap 40w panel with PWM regulator, and it has served well for years.

p.s. I should say, that if the van was stored outside I would get a dual output solar regulator for the van mounted solar panel, which can be set to put most charge into vehicle battery.

Archived