LCD TV and Freeview

Guest Sue Butler

Guest Sue Butler
We've just bought an LCD TV and Freeview box to go in our motorhome, but we've been having some trouble. The TV has a great picture, but has no sound, and the Freeview box just says "check arial connection". We were just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what we could do - it's driving us mad! Thanks

I WOULD TRY IT OUT ON YOUR HOME ARIEL Or try a home TV on the freeview box If this doesnt work it sounds like a money back option We run a LCD on the mains using the normal ariel in the van Freeview doesnt work in Sud Espania

The advice given above is sound. Personally I am waiting for the next generation of TV sets that include the freeview decoder within them. Then people will be junking all those little boxes. Then perhaps I might play with one. But until then we remain both analogue and terestrial. C.

Phew... thanks Clive. That's what I thought but it seems so many want to take that box with them! Hubby wonders if the SCART plug is faulty or if using an aerial socket/cable you need to retune the TV to the channel used by the Freeview box. Also you may need a full spectrum aerial as the channels are not grouped in the same way as terrestial channels. (He dictated that lot to me!)

Norma, I think Hubby is right. The Freeview system does require a decent signal and we (so I am told) are marginal. Initially we were listed as "No Service available" but now it says there is using the postcode check. Get hubby to check out the SCART plug using the VCR. If that combination works OK plugged into the SCART then so should the Freeview box. If the freeview box has an antenna out connector then its most likely you will need to tune something somewhere to make it work. But I have never played with one (yet) Good luck

Hey Clive - our SCART works fine - it was advice for Sue! We - sadly have(no subscription) satellite mostly for radio, Freeview at home and recently chucked cable (and the kids)!

Guest Roy Stilwell
Sue I carry a 20" LCD with built in dvd player, my freeview is a Sagam freeview unit with twin tuner and 40gig hard drive for saving & playing films etc. It is not always possible to tune into the freeview, and you must remember that in addition to connecting the scart lead another must be connected between thw aerial out of the freeviw unit and the external aerial input of the tv.I also carry a Sky dish/tripod and my home sky reciever. I no longer subscribe to sky but they do for a one off payment of £20 a viewing card that picks up all freeview stations exept UK History, but has Three free film channels Bad Films, Matinee films & true films. Roy

Archived