LED lightbulb in a Hymer MLT

curdle

Hymer MLT's have a large skylight in the center section of the roof surrounded by LED lights. One of my unit's has gone on the blink, flashing like a disco strobe and then dying. I have looked at it as best I can, but detect no way to remove and replace it? Any suggestions?

By the way, an LED filament is not a lightbulb, so what do we call them now?

You should find this thread useful:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Interior-LED-Units/50953/

and I suspect the unit is one of these:

https://www.led-powershop.de/epages/62876046.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62876046/Products/1622

(which will illustrate how they are located as an interference fit)

Note the comments that indicate limited life, and the suggestion in the thread that replacements with bulbs rather than SMD are purchased).

If the skylight is like mine, there is one slight cutout in the plastic which would allow you to get a very small screwdriver in at the edge of the light and potentially lever (very carefully) the first bit of movement. (I can't see how else they would remove, or what the cutout is for, but I can think of no other way without investigating the removal of the surround).

If you ‘do’ Facebook, there is a hymer owners group (hogs). It has the usual Facebook fault of very mixed advice ranging from excellent to dubious and has of course lots of ‘social’ postings.

However I seem to recall a post on how to remove the complete surround which may be relevant. My own van 2016 B598 had the same problem, but I had my dealer replace the led bulb, needless to say soon after another gave up the ghost (flashing as well). The replacements were done during service work so I cannot quote a price.

Now when that set of 4 on the big rooflight is switched off, they continue to glow and diminish for a second before they are properly out. I am not convinced that is correct as any LED I have seen extinguishes instantly. You may wish to consider replacing all 4, although if you acquire the knowledge of replacing one it may be just as handy to replace as necessary.

I would be pleased to hear how you resolve this as my van is now past its damp warranty and I intend to get future work done locally or by diy if possible.

Davy

curdle - 2020-12-13 8:36 PM

Hymer MLT's have a large skylight in the center section of the roof surrounded by LED lights. One of my unit's has gone on the blink, flashing like a disco strobe and then dying. I have looked at it as best I can, but detect no way to remove and replace it? Any suggestions?

==================================================================================

I have the same lights on my hymer center skylight and 2 of mine went the same, all I done was to twist the faceplate and there was the led with 2 pins on ,I just pulled it out sideways and pushed a new one in, I got them on ebay, then just twist the faceplate back on , simple

eBay item number:

curdle - 2020-12-13 8:36 PM

Common parlance is to refer to the type of LED component that can be a direct replacement for a conventional filament bulb as a “lightbulb”.

Aten lighting calls a conventional filament bulb a “lamp” (example here)

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting/g4-leds

and continues that word for LED replacements - but I don’t think there’s any real advantage in that approach.

I’m comfortable with the idea of Doublethink and there’s something to be said for Newspeak, but I can’t think of a word that’s semantically any better than “lightbulb” for LED replacements for conventional bulbs.

TeamRienza - 2020-12-14 5:40 AM

I would be pleased to hear how you resolve this as my van is now past its damp warranty and I intend to get future work done locally or by diy if possible.

Davy

It appears that the LED is not replaceable. I have to replace the light unit as a whole. I have seen similar ones that are cheaper than the dometic unit, but the light pattern is different and there are so many units in my MH, I don't want to start using a different pattern. I had to order the units from Germany because I cannot locate the same model here. Quite pricey with shipping, but that seems par for the course with Hymer.

I know what you mean, our van has two swivel led reading lamps, one each side of the bed. One of these failed. It glowed faintly when switched on, although the blue switch illuminator continued to work.

Close on €60 for the complete lamp unit with glass shade etc. I opted to fit it myself and that was a brute of a job as I could not access the female bullet connectors in the rear wall. I had to do a cut and join with cable block. Hate to think what the labour charge would have been.

Davy

Archived