LHD Hymer import

Guest Thomson

Guest Thomson
I'm considering importing a new LHD Hymer B524 and I am having difficulty in getting a straight answer to two questions. Perhaps you can help? 1. I understand that it is possible to get a speedo face plate reading in mph that can be placed over the lhd kph speedo or I can take the more expensive option of replacing the mph instrument cluster with a kph one. The Fiat dealer in Aberdeen thinks neither is possible. If you have done either of the above, could you help by telling me how you did it and perhaps providing me with a part number or a supplier? 2. I cannot get a firm yes out of Fiat to the re-setting/extension of a 2 year pan-European warranty on the above motorhome. Again, the local Fiat dealer says yes to a UK built motorhome but is unsure about a pan European warranty on an imported vehicle. Fiat customer services say send in the V5 and they will see what they can do. If you have been able to extend your pan-European warranty could you please let me know how you achieved it. Thanks Ken Thomson

As far as the speedometer is concerned, the most satisfactory solution is to buy a new face for the dial with mph and kph. A firm in Nottingham does them for about £39 with comprehensive instructions. They also make dials for Hymer UK and Smart cars.

Just put a placard on the dashboard giving the conversions - not sure if that is legal in the UK though. Alternatively memorise the important ones: 60kph is 36mph, 80kph is 50mph, 96kph is 60mph, 120kph is just over 70mph. To convert kms to miles multiply by 6 and shift the decimal point, i.e. multiply by 0.6, not totally accurate, but good enough for observing speed limits. As for Fiat, I suggest you take a good look at other threads in this Forum.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Ken: regarding your 2nd paragraph, I understand that you are trying to find out whether it's possible to add extra years to the 2-year Fiat warranty that comes with a Hymer purchased in Germany. (I don't know the answer to this, but I would have thought you might have to 'buy' the additional warranty period from the German end, rather than via Fiat(UK).) However, I don't understand what "re-setting" the warranty means. Are you trying to get the warranty to start from the date the vehicle is registered in the UK or what? By the way, it appears that Euro-Motorhomes (advert in MMM) can also supply a speedometer overlay for Fiat Ducatos.

Thanks Derek for your reply, I understand that the Fiat warranty may start from the time the motorhome or at least the part chassis and engine leaves the Fiat factory. By the time the motorhome is built and imported by me to the UK most of the warranty will have been used up without the motorhome been driven anywhere. I'm looking to have the start date of the warranty reset to the date of first registration in the UK or at least the date of temporary first registration in the EU prior to export to the UK.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I did wonder if you were being pessimistic and, yes, months (or even years) old warranties have apparently been applying to a some motorhomes when the initial buyer has taken delivery. My understanding is that this problem has not been peculiar to Fiat-based 'vans, though the number of incidents (and complaints) is likely to be higher for the SEVEL brands due to their dominant market-share. It's not a 'natural' thing, so buyers won't be watching out for it as a matter of course, and consequential difficulties may not arise until servicing or warranty work is required much later on. Clearly it's a bureaucratic flaw that shouldn't occur if proper procedure has been followed by the relevant parties - in particular, by the motorhome dealer. As far as I'm aware all the warranty-date complaints were resolved eventually. I've not read anything about it lately, although when I mentioned to a motorhome salesman at the recent NEC show that I was buying a 'van from Germany, he did warn me to check when the warranty began. I'm doubtful you will get a more positive answer from Fiat(UK) than "We'll address the matter if it happens". After all, as you are choosing to buy a Fiat abroad it won't have been Fiat(UK)'s fault if the warranty dates are haywire! I believe this is something you should take up with whichever German Hymer dealer you eventually choose, emphasising your concerns prior to committing yourself to the purchase and confirming the warranty start-date before you go to collect the 'van. A stitch in time; look before you leap, and all that...

The legal position regarding speedos is very clear: a vehicle registered in the UK MUST have a speedometer that displays miles per hour and is readable in both daylight and AFTER DARK. This is a requirement of the UK Construction and Use Regulations 1986. Clearly, if your speedo does not comply and you have an accident in which speed is, even remotely, a factor, then you may expect some resistance to paying up from your insurers!

Archived