LOUD KNOCKING FROM STEERING SYSTEM ON 2005 FIAT DUCATO BASED BURSTNER i685

trampers

I am experiencing a loud knocking noise (rat tat tat) on both hard left and right hand lock. The frequency of the knock increases when the accelerator pedal is pressed. The knock disappears when the lock is "backed off" slightly.

This only happens when the engine is "cold" and after around 10 minutes of the vehicle engine being started the knocking disappears.

The power steering fluid level is fully charged.

I would be grateful for any advice on what the cause of this problem might be.(the engine fitted to the vehicle is the 2.8 version)

I'm guessing its front wheel drive, not sure about on a van but on a car it would be the constant velocity joints or CV joints.

Probably best to get them checked out although if the knock goes when they warm up its probably early days for the problem.

Don't think its a massive problem...well its a definite problem but shouldn't take a kings ransom to correct.

Good luck

Hello,

I believe that i have already answered this query today. It came to me via Terry Acreman at MMM magazine and if you have not yet received your reply from him; it's on it's way.

The essence of my reply was based on the following assumption;

Have you recently had your cam belt replaced?

Nick

For the benefit of others;

On the 2.8 Fiat engine cambelt cover there is a spacer that has a stepped shape to it and it must be fitted the right way round. If not, the cover is closer to the belt than it should be and the perfectly normal amount of 'slap' that occurs when the steering is on full lock will cause the belt to make contact with the cover and can wear through it! If this is resolved quickly enough and any debris removed; in most cases the belt and cover will be fine.

N

Archived