LPG GAS

sandalwood

Hi I would think it will depend on whether u are living in van, going out every month or going out on a regular weekly basis... How much cooking your doing.. Is it a cold van I'm trying to get rid of the last dregs from one of my gas bottles and it's lasting for ages... I've tried using the heating even though we weren't cold. I cook all the time lol just won't go.. Go to gas locker and get bottles out and physically shake and check... Ps I'm waiting to fit gasit bottles Colin

Billggski - 2019-09-27 10:58 AM

I found the problem was preparing for a trip with a half full bottle, knowing that I couldn't get a calor bottle abroad. Would I risk it or return £10 worth of gas to get a full one.

So I bought a gaslow kit.

Empty Calor bottles are easily obtained at boot sales etc, just get a spare keep it in your shed at home [filled ] , then if you have the problem that you just stated remove the part filled one for later use and connect the spare filled one, Simples, have to agree about refillables though , best way to go, BUT there is a thread running on another forum saying the Shell garages are discontinuing refillable gas pumps because of falling demand as more vehicles [which the gas is intended for really] now becoming electric /hybrid?

See this 10-days-old thread...

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/LPG-GAS-IH-TIO-RL/53147/

If the gas-level gauge on Sandalwood’s motorhome is now working properly, the LPG usage-rate can be measured. If the gauge is not working properly, how long 16 litres of LPG in the motorhome’s LPG tank might last will (as I said in the earlier thread) depend on a number of variables (how much gas heating, how much gas cooking, how long a fridge is running on gas).

As Sandalwood’s motorhome has a refillable LPG tank and a gas-level gauge, I really can’t see why there’s a need to ask this question as, even if the 16 litres ran out, it should not be too difficult to find somewhere where the tank can be refilled.

vindiboy - 2019-09-27 11:14 AM

Billggski - 2019-09-27 10:58 AM

I found the problem was preparing for a trip with a half full bottle, knowing that I couldn't get a calor bottle abroad. Would I risk it or return £10 worth of gas to get a full one.

So I bought a gaslow kit.

Empty Calor bottles are easily obtained at boot sales etc, just get a spare keep it in your shed at home [filled ] , then if you have the problem that you just stated remove the part filled one for later use and connect the spare filled one, Simples, have to agree about refillables though , best way to go, BUT there is a thread running on another forum saying the Shell garages are discontinuing refillable gas pumps because of falling demand as more vehicles [which the gas is intended for really] now becoming electric /hybrid?

We have 'inherited' a dozen or more calor bottles, when setting out on what might be a long trip abroad I load up two full cylinders, if in uk use the part filled cylinders.

Monique started in April this year whit her Westfalia Kepler one. And every weekend Two days dog festival. The hot water boiler on gas was never on. Only gas used for a kettle of hot water to make coffee..... The camping gas bottle 907 is 2.75 Kg of butane gas. Is butane gas LPG? Anyway the bottle right now is still not empty. I have reserve space for a spare bottle 907. But need a tool to determine how much is in the 907 bottle. Instead of taking out and check the rest weight. Remember i downsized from large gas user to little. Cheers and see you on continent after october 31.

I bought a GasIt bottle with a Mopeka sensor that's fixed to the bottom by magnets, sends a signal by Bluetooth to app on my mobile. You can buy them on their own, and will work on any brand, including Calor. It took a bit of fiddling to get it to work, eventually taking battery out and replacing it sorted it. Seems fine now and will tell me when to top up.

With cooking and fridge when not plugged in (which is most sites) the van gets through about 1 litre a day.

Hans - 2019-09-27 9:07 PM

Monique started in April this year whit her Westfalia Kepler one. And every weekend Two days dog festival. The hot water boiler on gas was never on. Only gas used for a kettle of hot water to make coffee..... The camping gas bottle 907 is 2.75 Kg of butane gas. Is butane gas LPG? Anyway the bottle right now is still not empty. I have reserve space for a spare bottle 907. But need a tool to determine how much is in the 907 bottle. Instead of taking out and check the rest weight. Remember i downsized from large gas user to little. Cheers and see you on continent after october 31.

To quote from the UK’s CALOR website

LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) is a hydrocarbon gas that exists in a liquefied form. LPG is a colourless, low carbon and highly efficient fuel. Supplied in two main forms, propane (C3H8) and butane (C4H10), LPG has a range of uses – from providing fuel for Autogas vehicles, leisure parks, crop-drying, BBQs, heating homes and much more.

LPG boils at a low temperature and to avoid it evaporating due to its low boiling point, it is typically stored in pressurised steel vessels such as gas bottles or bulk LPG tanks.

So your Campingaz 907 bottle's butane gas can correctly be called “LPG”.

HOWEVER, when UK motorhome owners discuss “LPG”, they are normally referring to “Autogas” - the stuff that is available from service stations and intended as a vehicle fuel. Autogas in the UK is virtually 100% propane, but in other countries Autogas will be a mixture of butane and propane, sometimes with butane predominating.

Wikipedia says

In the UK LPG and autogas are used interchangeably. In Australia, the common terms is LPG. In Italy and France, GPL (an acronym for gas di petrolio liquefatto and gaz de pétrole liquéfié) is used. In Spain the term GLP (gas licuado del petróleo) is used.

There are several products marketed for checking how much gas remains in a gas bottle, but their effectiveness varies. Truma offers two

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-levelcontrol.html

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-levelcheck.html

but it is likely that - even though you should be able to avoid weighing your Campingaz bottle - you would still need to remove the bottle from its storage compartment to allow its contents-level to be confirmed.

Conrad mentions the Mopeka sensor

https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/mopeka-tank-check-remote-bluetooth-gas-bottle-level-sender/

but I am doubtful this could be used with a Campingaz 907 bottle.

Superior comments . Thank You. Being a chief ship engineer, i did a cruise recently. And check out their power plant nowadays since 1972. If you pay for it you get a full tour of all pantries and engine room. Including all control boards on computer. I was completely flabbergasted. But i understand their propulsion on their two propellers. Being Two axles . And Thrust- Block on each. That block put the ship forward and rearwards, and has a huge bolt fundament in the bottom. it had two Gas turbines general electric Lm2500. 25000 pk. They can run on any multi fuel. These turbines are used in air planes and gaspipe lines from russia. I have a full photo- shoot if interested

Archived