LPG or not

weldted

Hi, looking at the Honda Eu10i with or without the LPG kit. I am well aware of the situation re generators but am looking for feed back re using this genny on LPG. A number of companies are no longer selling the kit. As we have an onboard tank for LPG it would avoid the carring of petrol and the LPG is quieter in the sales info it states this unit is set to run on propane, whereas autogas may contain a mixture of both. I do not plan to use it much having run for the last five years without on but as we tend to be away from Oct to May it would provide a back up.

Well having one, the standard petrol I would not want to be without the ability to place this behind a tree or into a ditch ideally at some distance from me or others using my EHU lead. An LPG unit run off the built in tank totally screws up doing that and buying a small LPG bottle to facilite doing so is just hassle and money. A tank full gives quite a bit of running time, obviously load dependant. I top mine up at home and have carried two two litre SIGG type bottles of "spare" petrol.

Honda did not cover LPG use under their warranty, I am not aware if they have now have started to do this.

Fitting an LPG kit to a Honda Generator does not compromise your option to fill it with petrol as an alternative fuel.

I bought the larger (2kw) version ten years ago but used it only very infrequently and it's been left at home since we had solar panels fitted.  It now serves as a standby power supply at home, in case of power cuts - which it does very well.  A 1kw generator is enough for battery charging but you need at least 2kw to run a microwave in the MH or to run your fridge/freezers as well as lights,central heating and TV at home.

Thank you for your replies, I will only need the genny to charge my 2 X 100 batteries, if I need the microwave my inverter runs from the engine battery, if I need to run it more than a few mins I just run the engine but in six years only had to do this a couple of times. The genny is just as we overwinter in the van just to top up if we don't feel like moving, and the 300 watts of solar haven't topped them up enough.

Archived