LPG

Guest Patrick

Guest Patrick
My son having aquired a new car that runs off LPG, and having discovered how cheap it is to run, my wife keeps asking if there any motorhomes, or commercial base vehicles, running on LPG or any plans to convert any to LPG. Is it possible to convert diesel engine to LPG. Surely, with the cheepness of running someone must come up with one soon.

Guest Steve Knight
Hi. I had a 1990 Autosleeper Talisman (based on Talbot Express 2L petrol) converted to LPG 2.5 years ago. It runs extremely well with 2 tanks carrying 115L total. I fill up locally at 28p/L and get a range of about 450miles. It gives me an equivalent of 36mpg compared to running on petrl. Fuel costs are no longer an issue. Unfortunately our useage is outgrowing the Talisman and we are looking for something bigger. The Talisman is now for sale.

Guest Derek Uzzell
To the best of my knowledge it's not currently possible to have a genuine dual-fuel diesel/LPG engine (ie. one that can run on either 100% diesel or 100% LPG), but it is possible to convert a diesel engine to allow LPG to be 'added' to the diesel fuel. Probably easiest if you do a GOOGLE search on "diesel LPG" and visit some of the websites that come up. Worth looking at the "LPG FAQs" section of www.go-lpg.co.uk and the answer given to the question "Can Diesel engines be converted to run on LPG?"

I would love to have LPG at 28p/litre. Its 39.9p/litre in Hampshire! But that still less than half price!

Morrisons, Ta At recent MH shows most of the new big yanks were petrol. I asked "why not diesel" and the answer is that its cheaper all round to convert to LPG. At 29.9 per litre I now understand!

Guest David Powell
David Fuller...the dealer, converts petrol motor homes to L.P.G. Pleasant man, would probably enlighten anyone who is considering L.P.G.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nick dean
29p a litre is making me cry . i have never been able to buy in this country for less than 36p < somerset> am returning 30-33 equivelent petrol prices on an autoquest well loaded. very satisfying driving all way back from venice on gas and no tolls what a saving. make the most of it as gordon money grabber willl be revueing duty in 2007 and bound to get greedy! converting a carburettor motor is not rocket science to someone with a good mechanical / electrical aptitude. other advantage is lpg brings torque in at slightly lower revs according to a motorcycle tuning specilist, freind and i must say van did seem to pull better on mountains abroad when on gas.

Guest nick dean
29p a litre is making me cry . i have never been able to buy in this country for less than 36p < somerset> am returning 30-33 equivelent petrol prices on an autoquest well loaded. very satisfying driving all way back from venice on gas and no tolls what a saving. make the most of it as gordon money grabber willl be revueing duty in 2007 and bound to get greedy! converting a carburettor motor is not rocket science to someone with a good mechanical / electrical aptitude. other advantage is lpg brings torque in at slightly lower revs according to a motorcycle tuning specilist, freind and i must say van did seem to pull better on mountains abroad when on gas.

Archived