LPG

Mickt

https://tinyurl.com/bdcpuebf

https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/lpg_market_faces_global_shortage-18-jan-2021-164360-article/

If you are asking if 'autogas' is on the way out in the UK, there's no doubt that this is the case and has been for several years as overall demand has waned. This April 2022 link summarises the situation

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/mfg-is-planning-to-end-the-sale-of-auto-lpg-on-its-forecourts/

Obviously a dearth of UK autogas refilling outlets will impact on owners of motorhomes with fixed LPG tanks, but the primary purpose of autogas is in its name (it's gas intended to fuel vehicles). So perhaps UK motohome builders that have standardised on fixed LPG tanks over the last few years should be rethinking that policy now, as should motorhome owners considering opting for a fixed tank or refillable LPG canisters.

I'm thinking the best option for now is to have 2 bottles, 1 exchangeable and the other refillable. When I had refillable bottles fitted I kept the 2 original exchangeable bottles so I'm thinking that maybe I can just swap a bottle over but blank off the refill pipe to it. Can't see a problem with that, can anyone else?

Potential LPG shortages is the reason I've just installed a diesel heater. An option (partial) to LPG is no bad thing in these uncertain times.

A reminder that consideration of M/homers requirements (not only LPG provision) is of minor import in the grand scheme of things, even though some M/homers may think otherwise.

stevec176 - 2022-05-05 11:25 AM

I'm thinking the best option for now is to have 2 bottles, 1 exchangeable and the other refillable. When I had refillable bottles fitted I kept the 2 original exchangeable bottles so I'm thinking that maybe I can just swap a bottle over but blank off the refill pipe to it. Can't see a problem with that, can anyone else?

Seems OK to me...

Gaslow's fitting/filling instructions include examples of three bottle arrangements (copy attached below) and what you are proposing would involve changing the twin-refillable-bottles arrangement to the final example.

I'm not sure if a male plug is marketed that could blank off the end of the refill hose that normally connects to the 2nd refillable bottle, but I notice that Gaslow offers a female cap that (I assume) could be used to blank off the refill outlet of the 1st refillable bottle.

https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gaslow-refillable-blanking-cap-01-4111/

gaslow.png.9474645474fc396fe82e123b31669ceb.png

I don't know what app you're using but if you check the daily logs on Filllpg there are a dozen or so garages that go from 'unavailable ' to having it and and dozen or so that go 'unavailable ' . Just need to plan journeys ahead and not rely on local garages to you. Auto-sleeper have stated that have no intention to stop fitting underslung tanks and their network of Marquis dealerships are to having pumps installed, the first in Exeter going live in the next few weeks.

If changing from Option 1 with twin cylinders to option 3 with only 1 refillable then you would remove the RH cylinder with the two way inlet fitting and then the fill hose would connect directly to the single inlet on Cylinder 1. No blanking would be required.

Keith.

Thanks for the info this thread has provided; I’ve been anticipating the demise of Autogas in the UK, and trying to plan for the removal of our Stako tank.

I like the idea of a 6Kg and 11Kg combination, and have the space to do that quite easily.

The combination of swappable and refillable also ticks the necessary boxes.

Without going back into the history of our van’s evolution, to have a couple of cylinders accessible from our underbed ”shed” would make using the Tunnel a real option also: crawling under the van ceased to be comfortable a few years ago. I don’t think it would cost the earth either. ( maybe that’s not an appropriate expression), If I were in my thirties and looking to build another bespoke van I’d be looking for some zero carbon solutions to cooking and heating equipment.

Regards

Albertslad

Dont't forget Campingaz bottles available everywhere in Europe.

Take a look at their retailers network availalable on their corporate web.

One 3kg bottle usually lasts more than one week.

Just an adapter/tap needed.

Max

Albertslad - 2022-05-09 7:09 PM

Without going back into the history of our van’s evolution, to have a couple of cylinders accessible from our underbed ”shed” would make using the Tunnel a real option also: crawling under the van ceased to be comfortable a few years ago. I don’t think it would cost the earth either. ..

Regards

Albertslad

I was going to comment on Eurotunnel's stance regarding motorhomes with 'fixed' LPG tanks, but I notice that I covered this issue in a late-2020 forum thread in which you participated.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/LPG-on-Eurostar/56822/

That seems an awfully long time ago.

I forgot to ask: where do we expect to be able to get our Gaslow or other, refillable cylinders filled, and for how long?

When using Autogas at several garages in UK I was not very impressed with the serviceability of the forecourt equipment. I hated the whole process.

I only once had to top up on a continental trip, in France, and the job was done for me by the garage staff.

I suppose I could look up what our government has committed to for the recent climate change “jolly”, but would I know what sort of timescale I’m dealing with?

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

We’ll; we sat down yesterday and “decided” that life would be much better if we were looking forward to a continental trip in “The Van”

So France and particularly the Bordeaux Area came top of the list.

I’ve added this to the LPG thread because it could be very relevant. Could we top up on a garage forecourt in France? Always assuming that we’ve managed to fill our underslung tank somewhere in England prior to departure.

The whole of September is the chosen time, and we’ll plan to use municipal sites and commercial sites, but will give ACSI a miss.

As it‘s been some time since we enjoyed the van, France and everything else that we associate with a trip; we’ll push the boat out.

We don’t go off grid anyway, and even Aires have limited appeal.

So if we buy an electric hot plate, we wouldn’t really need LPG at all.

I’m quite keen to use the Tunnel, and if it still exists we could consider France Passion.

Recent experience that would contribute to our decision making would be valuable,

Thanks in anticipation

Re electric hotplates, remember that many French sites have limited EHU amperages, often 6A, but on some 5A, so a half useful hotplate, in conjunction with your other electric consumption, will be likely to trip your supply if more than one element is used at a time - and whatever you do, don't take a UK style 3kW electric kettle!

Me, I think I'd bite the bullet and have the tank removed in favour of two of the largest exchange cylinders you can get into your locker.

If using sites, and site facilities, LPG consumption should be very low, which is the main reason we've never gone for refillables of any kind. Used in this way, we have found a single 13kg cylinder lasts us between 75 and 100 days, so two 13kg (or even one and a 6kg reserve) should be ample for a month. There should be minimal need for heating in September, even as you head up into northern France en route for home.

Thanks for reply Brian; I’m getting close to having the Stako removed, it’s a pretty big decision, particularly as our last modification to the van was the installation of a Truma Combi to replace a Malaga and a Heatsource gas heater.

If I revisited the design of a van to suit our style of touring I’d produce a much simpler and maybe smaller base vehicle. Might even be able to get rid of the Thetford locker door??

I first saw an electric hob in France, so point taken. I must say we look for less complicated catering options these days, and have recently bought a Remoska.

Regards

Hi, I don’t know the price of calor gas exchange bottles are but the BP filling station near the Black Cat roundabout on the A1 has just started displaying a price for lpg so presumably has a supply after a number of weeks without any ,£1:10 per liter, not that cheap anymore.

Regards David

David,

As a comparison I exchanged two Calor 13 kg cylinders late last year and they cost £37 each.

So 13 kg x 1.96 litre/kg = 25.5 Litres and that then works out at £1.45 per Litre.

Obviously smaller cylinders would cost more per kg/Litre but that goes without saying!

Keith.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve just had our 25/20 Litre underslung STAKO tank removed, and a basic single cylinder setup installed.

It has not proved easy to get a Flogas cylinder, finally my supplier( we use propane for a job in a gas less village) was able to get approval from his supplier, to add a customer. That entails an agreement/deposit of £25+ £5 , which will be added to the gas cost of £45 for a 11Kg cylinder, a total of £75 for the first cylinder.

I’m still on the lookout for a refillable cylinder, but looking on eBay recently I’m not optimistic. Ideally Iwould like a cylinder with a refundable deposit.

I’m also unclear about the availability of refill facilities, though I think this may be easier on the continent.

We have a Truma Combi which we will probably only use on electric, so gas useage will be limited to a double burner hob plus a gas barbecue. We use sites, don’t go off grid and are reducing our trips to 4 weeks, so capacity shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m disappointed that propane is becoming less available on the forecourts, it really was good value, but I see it as a positive generally.

We had 2 underslung tanks fitted, the first a 25 litre as that was all that was available but as we use our van all year round and although the heater keeps the van nice and warm it eats quite a bit of gas. At the time of the first tank we had the installation made so we could still use a bottle in the locker as well. As time and funds allowed we had a second tank fitted a 30 litre one. Which freed up the gas locker. We have no plans to remove them a we mostly use the van in Europe. Again as funds allowed we had 700 watts of solar a Victron 12/2000/80 inverter charger and 2 x 100 amp lithium batteries. As we can power share to top up whatever the site ehu supply is we can use a hotplate within limits. I appreciate our set up was not cheap but allows us the freedom to use the van how we want. Just done 85 days i France no EHU needed.

Archived