Lake Garda

Guest Vicky

We have planned a four week trip to Europe in August, we are hoping to spend five nights by Lake Garda. Having looked at various sites I note that they have a minimum stay of 7 nights. Anyone got any suggestions? I am looking for a site with a pool, near the Lake and enough to keep two seven year olds occupied. Thanks, Vicky

Hello vicky We were in S west France in August last year not by choice.We found all the larger sites around there ie near or on the beach with swimming pools only took friday or saturday bookings for 7 nights & unless you were booked up well ahead you didnt stand much chance of staying on them. They are not really our cup of tea but our daughter was staying on one with the grandchildren. We wild camped in the end & spent the days as a visitor with them. I would imagine it would be a similar situation around lake garda. Trixie

Hi Vicky KEEP CLEAR of "Camping Cisano" Its on the Eastern shore of Lake Garda & just after the jucntion where on road goes out to the motorway It is DIRTY There was rubbish along the lake side (it looked like Blackpool or Brighton after a bust bank holiday) and it was left there for over three days Pitches are mostly small The few larger pitches had trees planted in the middle The chemical emptying point was just a hole in the centre of the car washing point - for 1500 sites Have heard that there are some goods clean sites on the Western (quieter) side of the lake Enjoy your trip Not all Italy is like that

PeteC We were at camping Cisano in September 04, at the waterside and there were no problems at all. Atmittedly the pitch was not vey long, and some had trees in them, but plenty of room for a 6m van & tables & chairs etc. Certainly alot more room than some sites I've seen in Spain. No sign of litter about. When were you there?.

Autumn 2002 We put in a complaint with the camping cheque group They were to look into it the following Spring when their annual inspection took place and the said they would inform me fo thr esults I did hear from another camper that some of the big trees were being taken out and other work was under way but the site was still dirty with litter around that was summer 2003 Hopefully it is camper reports that have got through to them Still wont go back there There are other sites to visit

Vicky There are loads of sites around the lake with swimming pools as I remember. Try to beg, borrow or steal a copy of the Dutch ANWB camping guide for Italy (a local campsite near you might be an ANWB member and will have a copy) and you will find the pools all listed there. The guides also use a very accurate campsite grading system and I can highly recommend them. Have Fun.

Vicky We spent a few days in Sep 04 in a huge site that stretched from the road right down to the lake shore. It had seven swimming pools! Extremely popular with German campers to the point where German was the primary language spoke by the Italian staff! It had pitches large enough to accommodate 12M motorhomes. If only I could remember the name. I can look it up if you're interested. Neal

Vicky I think I'm right in saying that the site was called Camping Piani di Clodia. It was on the south east side of the lake near an old walled town called Lazise. The site ran a bus into the town (inc evenings) for campers to enjoy it. It really is a big site and very popular with the Germans, with Dutch second. Not many Italians and only two other Brits. Good for relaxing, excellent restaurants in the town. Regards Neal

Archived