Large motorhomes refused on French campsites

Guest Patricia

Guest Patricia
With regards French municipal campsites and large motorhomes, a friend has been refused admission on several sites (all municipal) on the excuse that it is "against the law" to admit 'vans with double rear wheels. Indeed on one site they were allowed on but had to "hide" the wheels. Whether this is a local restriction or a national one I do not know. Does anyone else know of this recent restriction?

Guest Clive
We have heard of this before in France. We believe it is to try and stop gypsies from taking over the camp sites. (Should be OK soon as Prescot is inviting them all over here anyway!)

Guest David Powell
A couple or so years ago my eldest daughter was towing her wacking great twin axle caravan through France and was refused entry to a site. She was told that as most Euro Gypsies had twin axle caravans the order was made refusing twin axle caravans entry, as to refuse Gypsies would be racist which is not allowed by law. So there you are Clive, there must be some truth in it.

Guest Tony S
Somebody should do some ecological evangelism in the gypsy population as the main objection to their presence anywhere seems to be the sight of the disorder they live in and leave behind them. The French town where I live has belatedly provided a site for gypsies 'de passage' as the law in France now requires each municipality to do. It's on hardstanding and it's been planted with trees and has water and electric facilities. It's usually strewn with rubbish and the large dustbins are hardly used. It's right next to the dual carriageway, which doesn't seem to bother them much as it's the sort of place they seem to choose anyway. In Montauban, there is no municipal site (unusual for a 60,000 pop town in France) but there is aa 'aire' for camping cars by the river, equipped with a 'flot bleu' (out of order). I keep an eye on it, pick up rubbish, and report any abuse to the council. Unfortunately, although it's beautifully situated, it's in an isolated position, and in summer it can get noisy as groups of young people congregate by the river nearby to drink, smoke, shout and swear right up to the wee hours. Municipal campsites in France are very cheap and usually a better bet than the 'aires' for getting a good night's sleep. Of course, if you are in a 'whacking great vehicle' or towing one, they may refuse you access (after all europe isn't america and the pitches havn't been laid out with very large vehicles in mind.)

Guest Norma
Well I think I'll just stay here and not move to France! We have dirty travellers sites, drunk/swearing teenagers and rubbish strewn about, even with the litter bin easily accessable. And of course no municipal site, either. Sounds just like home!

Patricia when you say double rear wheels do you mean 2 axels or a single axel with twin wheels fitted either side? Pat

Guest Derek Uzzell
The French campsite restriction signs I've seen applied to multi-axle caravans. The restrictions would be based on local by-laws rather than a national regulation and, as has been said previously, are there to exclude the 'travelling' communities. I'm doubtful that the rule would be enforced generally against twin rear-axle motorhomes - probably depends on the site-warden's mood at the time.

In 8 years of using 27-30' RV's we have never been refused access to any site, either in France or the rest of Europe. Quite the reverse actually as we are normally encouraged in to sites that clearly cannot accomodate us and we have to decline. Regards Neal

Guest sandy
last year I stayed on the municipal site in Bergerac. there is a sign outside the site that forbids twin axle caravans but I had no problem with my Burstner 747

Guest Patricia Corcoran
Thanks to everyone for replies and apologies for delay in acknowledging them but I have been unable to access this particular website for nearly two weeks (I don't know why as I have not found any others a problem). The motorhome is an Auto-Trail Chieftain, so not that huge (about 8m I think, and I think it is termed as a tag-axle.

Archived