Lazy control panel

colin weston

Recently the control panel on my 2007 Autocruise Starburst has become reluctant to initiate when the 'button' is pressed. After several attempts it finally decides to work. On the basis that it is likely to get worse where should I start my fault finding?

GOOGLE suggests that the control-panel fitted to your Starburst is the one used with Sargent's EC200 system, and an example of that design of panel is shown on the attached file.

If touching the panel’s On/Off symbol fails to cause the panel to react reliably, you may need a replacement panel.

If your panel is a Sargent product, your best bet would be to sek advice from Sargent. On-line comments suggest that the company is helpful.

panel.jpg.08475472859d4e81474bb5e7b181e4f9.jpg

My Autocruise has an "Autocruise Energy Management System" and had exactly the same problem. There is a company that can repair it, at a horrendous cost ,however my fix is worth a try first.

Remove the panel, 4 screws and locate the rear of the On/Off switch. I sprayed the tip of a small screwdriver with WD40 and then dribbled a teardrop into the rear of the switch. That was about two years ago and it switches on every time. Others will suggest contact cleaner but it worked fo me.

Please feedback how you got on.

Your Autocruise motorhome (whatever model it is) is a 2008 vehicle, while Colin’s Starburst is 2007 vintage.

Swift took over Autocruise in late-2007, so Colin’s motorhome is (probably) a pre-takeover Autocruise and yours is (probably) post-takeover.

The “Energy Management System” you mention is described in the section beginning on Page 53 of this handbook

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/046/original/2008_AC_Handbook.pdf?1472743494

Apparently the system was produced by a company called Energy Management Products (details here)

http://www.nrgmp.com/

The Sargent control-panel seems to have a touch-screen, whereas the panel in the photo clearly has push-buttons that could be ‘cleaned’ in the way you describe.

If Colin’s control-panel is like yours, but does not respond to your ‘fix’, apparently repair may still be a possibility

http://www.nrgmp.com/repair

1242828495_energymanagementsystempanel.jpg.9ebd7951934b6e29b8781040521f114c.jpg

If it is a push button on/off switch, a cleaner is the first thing to try.If it is a touch on/off switch, it may be that the outer skin has stretched slightly through constant operation. Try heating the switch area with a hair dryer, then allow to cool completely before trying again, works sometimes.

Brian B.

Thank you all for your feedback. I have an Energy Management System and have contacted the supplier for their comments regarding the problem. When you applied WD40 to the on/off switch did you disconnect the leisure batteries first? Currently I am away from home but I will get some switch cleaner and try and sort problem after I get reply from manufacturer. Maybe they will suggest cleaning switch or more likely a replacement panel. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much for feedback.

Kigass, the original manufacturer of the control system, is long gone, but others offer repair services.

I did not disconnect any battery and was just careful to remove and replace.

Hope this will be successful and let us all no how you get on so we can all learn.

Got some switch cleaner and put a drip in the back of the switch. No luck. Repeated a few times but reluctant to operate. Disconnected panel from plug and reconnected to see whether or not there was a poor connection. No luck. If it is the switch itself, I guess is would be feasible to replace it with a new one, not a job I would want to undertake with my shaky hands. I will await reply from repair company and decide where I go from there.

Before I left the site for home yesterday I couldn't switch the panel off. We stopped a couple of times on the way home and I 'exercised' the switch to see if I could wake it up. After a while I managed to get it to switch on and eventually switch off. It now seems to be back to normal operation. It does raise the question whether or not the switch cleaner had any effect or whether the problem was solely due to lack of use. I had not used the van since Christmas so around 6 months idle. I do know from my previous van that often the strip lights would not work but 'exercising' the switch would bring them back to life. I guess electrical systems are like humans: 'If you don't use it, you lose it!' Thanks again for your help, hopefully saved me maybe a few hundred pounds.

I got a response from Energy Management Products Ltd, http://www.nrgmp.com/repair, and they quoted me £105 to test and repair my existing panel which should it have been necessary was not excessive. Apparently they have the original tooling and drawings for Autocruise and Bentley control panels which is worth knowing. I hope finally to put this thread to bed.

Hello Colin,

I have exactly the same control panel as you and mine has exhibited the same problems.

Sometimes it starts on the first push and other times it requires multiple pushes to initiate. I have read elsewhere that if you remove the four screws to access the panel, you can temporarily remove the RJ45 connector and re-insert after a few seconds. I have had mixed success with this as well.

I will probably put up with the problem until the panel ceases to work and then look to repair or replace.

Archived