Leaking Skylight

Mel E

One of the (standard sized) skylights in our new motorhome is leaking whenever it rains. The other two (both Seitz) work fine but this is a non-Seitz make (Seitz wouldn't fit the space available). We had the same problem, intermittently with all three skylights in a previous motorhome, so it can't be an uncommon problem. All the skylights have been properly fitted and the sealing between them and the roof on top is fine - if it wasn't there would be signs of damp round the skylight inside and we've never had that problem. I simply cannot see where the water is getting in, but it is - and only when it is raining hard. I can duplicate the problem by spraying water from a garden sprinkler onto the roof but still cannot see where it's coming in. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know the solution?

Guest David Powell
Hi Mel I don't know exactly what your skylights are like. Have you got 4 countersunk screws down through the perspex cover??? If so they have been known to leak.

Mel An alternative is to cover your vents with Maxxair vent covers, or similar. This will, of course, cost money but the advantage is that you can use the vents in all types of weather without water ingress. Regards Neal

I have had similar problems with a Heiki. I think that the problem has been due to some tree debris getting trapped around the outer edge where it comes down to the roof.

Hi Mel, We also had a problem with our Heiki fan / roof light, but only when it was slightly open. The rain blows into the voids in the top of the moulding which fills up and eventually drips down into the van. It doesn,t need debris!. So If its starts raining we fully close the Heiki roof light to aleviate the problem. Could your problem be similar? Regards Clive

Thanks for all your replies - but I'm sorry to say none of you excllent repliers has solved my problem. There are no screws through the plastic (and weren't on the earlier motorhome), the thing leaks when closed, it isn't leaves causing the problem, so we are stumped!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phil Grindle
Hello Mel I had a similar problem with just 1 skylight. It had to rain very hard but when it did there was a stain at 1 corner. The roof and the wooden batons weren't damp and no sign of water ingress. I took the skylight off and cleaned all the mastic from all surfaces and replaced with new mastic. That was in June and so far not a sign that it has not worked. There was an article about this in MMM about June time Hope this is helpful Phil

Archived