Leaking Windscreen Gutter

niktam

It looks to me like this is a regular fault on our vans as I have found a small puddle on the oil filler cap. Not sure where it is coming from so in the meantime(due to weather etc) I have reverted to a small sheet of polythene until it gets warmer remembering of course to not start it up without removing the polythene?

It is widely recognised that Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer “X250” vehicles (built from mid-2006 to mid-2014) had major problems with rainwater leakage into the engine compartment. Various means (official and DIY) were employed to combat this and there is a huge amount of discussion about it on motorhome forums.

Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer “X290” vehicles (built from mid-2014 onwards) like yours have a differently-shaped bonnet, different headlamps and the plastic ’scuttle’ at the base of the wndscreen was completely redesigned with three large-bore drain hoses allowing much greater quantities of rainwater running down the windscreen to drain away below the vehicle.

When X290 vehicles were introduced in 2014 it was pointed out on this forum that a similar method of sealing appeared to be used for the joint between the top of the redesigned plastic scuttle and the base of the windscreen. This seal had been a leakage point for many X250s and it was feared that it would be a potential leakage point for X290s.

There’s no doubt that, if the scuttle-to-windscreen joint of an X290 vehicle does NOT let rainwater through, rainwater should not enter the engine compartment. However, there clearly are X290s where the scuttle-to-windscreen joint is not watertight and in such instances the scuttle redesign and wider drain hoses won’t prevent water from entering the engine compartment.

This 2017/2018 Motorhomer.com forum thread

https://motorhomer.com/threads/leaking-scuttle-2017-ducato.841/

referred to a near-new 2017 (X290) Fiat Ducato-based Swift Kon-Tiki motorhome where rainwater was entering the engine compartment via the scuttle-to-windscreen joint and then finding its way on to the engine. (The 1st posting mentions plastic sheet being placed on top of the motor.)

The X290 scuttle redesign certainly improved matters regarding under-bonnet rainwater leakage, but it’s evident that the scuttle-to-windscreen seal is still potentially problematical. I don’t know how prevalent the problem is, but it’s clear that it has not been totally eradicated.

My 2015 X290 Ducato’s engine compartment remains ‘dry’ however much water runs down the windscreen and (so far!!) the only time water gets on to the motor is if I lift the bonnet after it’s been raining or the motorhome has been washed, when a few drops of water will drip from the bonnet on to the black plastic ‘shield’ that covers the motor’s top.

You'll need to experiment to confirm how the water that is collecting on the oil-filler cap gets there. Pay particular attention to the scuttle-to-windscreen joint and check for any obvious sign that the joint’s rubber seal is not ‘tight’ against the windscreen glass. Also make sure that the drain hoses are completely free of debris.

Just used a 2" wide roll of vinyl tape as used for vinyl stripes across bottom of windscreen covering the join where scuttle meets windscreen when applying it kinks can be avoided by using a hairdryer. You'll know its there but others won't even see it

Archived