Legal information on driving motorhome weights

Guest bill

Wanted. Precise info regarding driving 3500k/3800k and larger weighted motorhomes. (over 70) Is there a definite seperation figure above 3500k for either age or weighted vehicle. (Can't find it on the net) I know minibuses and HGV's have specific regs and I had a medical for a business driving venture, but can find nothing about Motorhome weights?

Bill My understanding is that motorhomes are not an exempted group. Assuming that you do not have an LGV or PCV licience, the regs are that when your licience is renewed at age 70 it restricts you to driving vehicles up to 3500kg (including motorhomes). You can seek continued entitlement to vehicles above 3500kg up to 7500kg but you will need to undergo a medical (at your own expense, and it costs) similar to that required by LGV/PCV drivers. This info should be available on the DVLA website but you might need some time to track it down. Regards Neal

To renew my driving licence and to be able to continue driving our Autotrail(3800k), at the age of 70, I had to obtain an application form from the DVLC. This required me to have a medical. It took some time to come through so I would recommend applying early. I seem to remember that details, of the form to apply for, are given on the standard application form.

you can drive any vehicle up to & including 3500kg on the new licence for vehicles over 3500kg you have to have a medical to get the necessary papers Thats why we chose a 3500kg vehcle wife haveing just had a major operation She hadnt seen a doctor for years Then within 2 weeks she was recoering from her op so we retired & on that experience decided the size of van

Many thanks to all for the legal info. I guess that about sums it up. I did have a medical for driving a minibus on the continent just in case I was checked, also for carrying hazardous gases. Its better to be on the right side and its no use afterwards saying I should have. Bill.

Archived