Leisure Battery fully charged but not operating anything?

Joemac

Elddis Autoquest 175

Leisure battery fully charged but will not work on its own for lights or TV. No life at the control panel suggesting power not getting that far. Checked 3amp fuse behind panel and it’s ok. When mains connected everything works fine.

Can anyone suggest what could be wrong here?

I have an old Autoquest wiring diagram in my library, This drawing does not show a fuse close to the battery, which good practice requires. (Your inline fuse would fill this function.) My Autoquest diagram shows the auxilliary battery having a 15A fuse at the top of two blocks of five fuses. Perhaps your MH has a fuse in this position?

Alan

If there is a AUX switch I think it will be on the control panel marked I / O / II but it may not have one on a 2015 model panel depending on which make and model of Power control unit is fitted.

Are there any other fuses on the Power control unit that may be linked to the leisure battery or the control panel. also have you checked that the battery connections are good / tight (both + and - )

An Elddis handbook for 2015 Autoquest models can be found here

https://elddis.co.uk/uploads/handbooks/2015/2015-Autoquest-Handbook.pdf

Apparently the Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and control-panel are BCA products and I have attached below images showing their fronts.

(The handbook does include a schematic of the electrical system - though it’s not that informative.)

PDU.png.945cf1bf98df43360b4997d553c2940a.png

panel.thumb.png.1974420ca380d52b6bb79adc021c6e48.png

I have a 155 and there is an isolator switch just as you enter the van through the accommodation door on the left at floor level. The battery selector will also have to be on aux not vehicle.

Don't know if yours is the same.

This February 2020 forum thread discussed the control-panel switches of an Elddis 160 motorhome and mentioned the “AUX” and “VEH” switches.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/elddis-160-control-panel-battery-switch-problem/54517/

In that thread I said

The on-line Elddis handbooks suggest that the same simple control-panel was fitted to Autoquest motorhomes from as early as 2003 to as late as 2011

and provided images (1st and 2nd images below) of the control-panel that I understood Elddis had installed during the period 2003-2011.

Handbooks for Elddis motorhomes prior to 2015 are no longer available through the Elddis website, but if the 2015 Autoquest handbook is to be believed, the control-panel will be the BCA product shown in the 3rd and 4th images attached below (and also fitted to Bailey products). As will be apparent from these images (and from the drawing copied from the 2015 Handbook and that I addded to my last posting) this control-panel has no AUX/VEH switch, just a MASTER On/Off switch.

(Joemac’s Autoquest 175 is a 2015 model.)

panel1.jpg.34e0785666611240e4890bef217bc214.jpg

panel2.png.0aa09fee58b5263a4d4e522290eec63d.png

64461355_bcapanel1.jpg.b0bfba784d724180ca7fb657c53eb59b.jpg

1196204692_bcapanel2.thumb.jpg.a6eb7f2d16e676c767aa39bf175a22b5.jpg

Thanks again Buddy.

There is a 3amp inline fuse behind the control panel and it’s ok.

I have metered 12volts coming into the vehicle but it’s not getting as far as the control panel where I metered the on/off switch.

I reconnected everything and can now hear a rapid ticking noise coming from the Mains Unit behind the fuse box.

Think the problem now must be in the Mains Unit?

Thanks Derek. Yes these are the controls in my vehicle. There is no power to the control panel. Metered this and checked the on/off switch.

Having put everything back together I can now hear a rapid ticking from the Mains Unit which makes me think the problem may be inside this unit? Not sure if it’s easy to remove and dismantle though.

There is normally a relay fitted that shuts the 12v leisure power down when the engine is started , maybe that could be the cause of the problem if it is faulty and it could well be inside the BCA power supply unit (depending on model type)

Joemac - 2021-10-09 12:36 PM

Hi Derek, photo of control panel attached……..I think.

As the file attachment process warns, the size of the file must not exceed 100KB.

You could try using this application to reduce the size.

https://www.reduceimages.com/

I managed to reduce a photo from 4.4MB to 95KB with no great loss of quality, but it took a little effort - but If you are using a phone, then Good Luck!

(Is your Autoquest’s control-panel different from the one shown in the 3rd photo on my last posting? If it’s the same, there’s no need to try to send a photo.)

It also might be worth you looking at this recent forum discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/split-charger-relay/58867/

.................................... (More guidance below on attaching files)....................................

Q: How do I attach a file to a forum posting?

A: The procedure for attaching a file to a forum posting is as follows:

1: Type the posting’s text into the Message box.

2: Tick the box titled "Attach a file after posting”.

3: Click the posting’s SUBMIT button.

An “Attach a file” box should now appear, When it does

4: Click on the “Choose File” button.

The response to clicking on the “Choose File” button will depend on the device you are using. But however your device (PC, Mac, tablet, phone) responds, you’ll need to identify and choose the file you want to attach. The file-name should now appear alongside the “Choose File” button. When it does

5: Click on the “Submit” button.

If the file you are trying to attach has a format that the forum’s software can handle, a message (in red) “Upload successful” should appear, plus information showing the name of the file and its size.

6: Now click on "Return to the thread” in the “Actions” box to complete the process. (If you want to attach several files, repeat actions 4 and 5 as necessary, and then click on "Return to the thread”.)

......................................................................................................................................

THE CRITICAL THING IS TO ENSURE THAT THE SIZE OF THE FILE BEING ATTACHED DOES NOT EXCEED 100KB

Attempting to attach a fairly large file with a size exceeding 100KB may prodce the following error message

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forums/includes/include-upload.asp, line 51

However, if the file is really large, the attachment process may fail with no error message and with “no file selected” appearing alongside the “Choose File” button.

......................................................................................................................................

If a file has a .jpg extension (eg. photo.jpg) the attached file-image should be permanently visible on the posting.

If a file has a .jpeg extension (eg. photo.jpeg) just the name of the file will be shown at the foot of the posting. If a forum-member then clicks on the file-name, the member’s own device (PC, Mac, tablet, etc.) will attempt to handle it and the image will normally become visible.

It is possible to attach other file-types provided that the file-size is no larger than 100KB. However, there is no certainty how the forums’ software will react.

Archived