Leisure batteries advice please

scotty_ian

Hello everyone

I have been reading with great interest a lot of posts about leisure batteries. My 2012 Autotrail Tracker which I bought from a dealer 5 months ago currently has 2 Banner Energy Bull 100Ah batteries (which get bad press), one of which has been disconnected, the other is pretty dead only lasting to power my Freesat TV system drawing about 2A for 4 hours off grid before the battery reaches 11.5V according to the motorhome battery monitor.

I disconnected the ‘dead’ battery and connected the other battery, charged it overnight on ehu and it powered the TV for 8 ½ hours before dropping to 11.9V. So both batteries are needing replacing.

Going by this forum’s recommendations, the Varta LFD90 seems to be the battery of choice so I’ll go with that and get 2 new ones. My question is, should I have them both connected up or just have one connected, leaving the other to be connected in when the first one is discharged and disconnected. Both batteries have accessible connector plugs so are easy to disconnect / reconnect as needed.

Thanks for any advice.

• 3 weeks later...

A small caveat...

A Banner “Energy Bull” battery should be fitted with a vent-tube (degassing tube) and a Varta LFD90 battery can also accept a vent-tube.

As I understand it, the vent-tube appropriate for an Energy Bull battery has a different tube-to-battery connector to the norm - so the Banner tube MIGHT not connect to a Varta LFD90.

If you’ve now fitted the Varta batteries and connected vent-tubes to them, it would be useful to learn whether the tubes that connected to the Banner batteries (Assuming those batteries had tubes!) also connected to the Vartas without any modifications being needed.

weldted - 2019-05-03 11:58 AM

I would look at Youasa L36-EFB 100 amp. Fitted two last August very pleased with them.

That's good to know. I've just ordered two to replace my three-year old Banners.

Hi Derek: There weren't any vent tubes on the banner batteries. The one battery is in an underfloor compartment with plenty vent holes to the outside so that one prob wouldn't need a pipe, but the other is on flor level under a seat and is in a plastic battery box with a lid, so I'll fit a vent tube to that one. I'll contact tanya batteries for the correct fitment.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-03 8:33 AM

.......................................................................................

As I understand it, the vent-tube appropriate for an Energy Bull battery has a different tube-to-battery connector to the norm - so the Banner tube MIGHT not connect to a Varta LFD90.

...........................................................................................................

Derek,

I believe that I have posted the following on a previous occasion. When fitting Banner batteries a few years ago, I found it quite practicable to carefully bore out one end of the existing elbows on the vent tube so as to allow them to fit into the annular ring on the Banner batteries vent point. (The vent is the rectangular slit.)

To bore out the elbows I used a hand brace, and progressively increased drill sizes to obtain a fit.

If as is very possible I change to a different make of battery in the future, I fully expect my modified, but slightly less robust elbows to fit.

As regards commercial supplies, I believe that Tanya Batteries supply stiff thin walled (nylon?) tubing, which will fit into the annular ring on the Banner battery. Being relatively inflexible this tubing creates its own problems in tight spaces.

Alan

Scotty_Ian, the Banner Energy Bull batteries gas fluid far more than most (one of the worst on the market) so the compartment and box are likely to contain acid gas 'condensate' so take great care to clean everything inside there, and wear gloves, before removing the batteries.

If you feel any burning/stinging during the battery replacement process, wash the skin area straight away, don't delay as Sulphuric acid burns are nasty, but don't ask me how I know!!

Carefully clean and abraded the battery clamps and connections.

The Yuasa is a very, very low gassing battery so a good choice but a vent pipe is recommended.

If you had bought from Alpha batteries and mentioned us you would have got a discount and on the same page you will find they also list a vent fitting kit at £2.99, see :

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-yuasa-100ah-efb-leisure-battery-l36-efb/

aandncaravan - 2019-05-03 1:42 PM

The Yuasa is a very, very low gassing battery so a good choice but a vent pipe is recommended.

If you had bought from Alpha batteries and mentioned us you would have got a discount and on the same page you will find they also list a vent fitting kit at £2.99, see :

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-yuasa-100ah-efb-leisure-battery-l36-efb/

I got mine from Alpha, ordered yesterday afternoon and arrived half an hour ago. They put in two venting kits free of charge.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-03 8:33 AM

A small caveat...

A Banner “Energy Bull” battery should be fitted with a vent-tube (degassing tube) and a Varta LFD90 battery can also accept a vent-tube.

If you’ve now fitted the Varta batteries and connected vent-tubes to them, it would be useful to learn whether the tubes that connected to the Banner batteries (Assuming those batteries had tubes!) also connected to the Vartas without any modifications being needed.

Derek, i have just swapped my Banners for the LFD90 the vent tube just fit in the holes perfectly, no probs

Jonathan

Archived