Liber-t-tag in France

Ginny1

Hi, I have a motorhome which is 3m high but with the satellite dish triggers Classe 3 at the tolls, which I always get reduced to Classe 2 from pressing the help button.

I would like to get a Liber-t-tag but Emovis the UK supplier say you have to be 3m or less.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get one for my situation, maybe directly from France.

Thanks in advance.

I got my tag direct from ATMB. Their website can be viewed in French or English, they ship the tag to the UK and unlike Sanef/Emovis there is no annual charge, just 1.90 euros charge in any month that you use it, plus toll charges. If you use it more than three days in any month, the monthly fee is waived.

https://www.atmb.com/en/our-offers/etp-subscription/light-vehicles

I also understand that aerials or dishes aren't taken into consideration when determining vehicle height (although they may be detected by the toll devices and the vehicle height at the toll wrongly calculated) so as long as the roof height of your van is less than 3.0m and you are under 3.5 tonnes you should be able to obtain a light vehicle tag.

Solwaybuggier - 2019-01-31 5:20 PM

Discussion of the height issue on here a while back (I’m sure someone will be along soon with a link to it) - my recollection is that various things on the roof , including satellite dishes, don’t count. On which basis, you probably aren’t over 3m.

The ‘fine print’ relating to vehicle-height was discussed (in some depth) in this 2018 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/French-Motorway-Toll-Classification/48629/

Ginny

The emovis website states that - for a French Liber-t tag

"In addition your vehicle or motorcycle MUST BE under 3m in height and less than 3.5t in weight.”

meaning that (a 4-wheel) vehicle needs to be appropriate for a Class 1 or Class 2 autoroute tariff.

If a motorhome has a basic height sub-3m, but has a satellite dish on its roof that increases the height above 3m, it’s probable that this will trigger a height sensor at an autoroute toll-booth, resulting in a Class 3 tariff being applied. Using the toll-booth’s ‘help button’ should result in the Class 3 tariff being legitimately reduceed to the Class 2 charge, but I’m not sure what happens where the Liber-t system is concerned as this is based on the vehicle carrying the Liber-t tag qualifying for the Class 1 or Class 2 tariffs.

In the emovis FAQ section

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/faq/#tag-use-faq-section

there is the following advice

What if I have a roofbox or bike on the roof and need a toll adjusting?

France - Liber-t tag

If you are a Class 1 vehicle and have a roof load such as a roof box or bicycle that takes your overall height over 2m, you will still be charged as a Class 1 vehicle. There is equipment (laser and 3D imaging) in the Liber-t lanes that can distinguish between 'Class 1 + roofload' and Class 2 vehicles. You should be charged at Class 1 rate.

Occasionally however, this auto detection equipment may incorrectly identify you as Class 2. We advise you to check your bill when you receive it or view your future toll balance in your 'Account Summary' area and if you have been incorrectly charged at Class 2 rate, please open a toll adjustment request. Just go to your 'Account Summary' area, scroll down and next to 'My Tags' click 'View Tolls', click on the toll you wish to be adjusted, click 'Raise a Toll Adjustment Request' and complete the toll adjustment request form. We will ensure that you are reimbursed the difference the following month. Toll adjustments must be requested within 3 months of the transaction date.

and also

Large Motorhomes / Commercial Vehicles.

France - Liber-t tag

The Liber-t tag is only for class 1, 2 & 5 vehicles. Emovis Tag UK does not offer the TIS-PL tag for class 3 and 4 vehicles, but our sister company Eurotoll do offer the TIS-PL tag for Class 3 and 4 vehicles.

You might try telling emovis that your motorhome’s height is sub-3m (so qualifies for a Liber-t tag) but the motorhome’s height exceeds 3m when a roof-box is carried, and ask what would then happen at an autoroute toll-booth.

With ATMB (which I will repeat is cheaper than the Emovis contract) if you apply for the Libert-t evasion contract, it only applies to class 1 or class 2 vehicles. Since as far as I'm aware, the only check applied to a tag at the toll booth is whether it is legitimately recognised, I can't see any issue with a barrier failing to rise because the system thinks you are class 3. The worst that can happen is that you are wrongly charged when you use it, which can be taken up with ATMB when you are billed. It might be prudent to query the situation with them first though!

You can register for an online account. I registered a credit card for payment, which has no foreign currency transaction fees attached, and although the bill is only made available and payments taken monthly in arrears, toll charges are usually viewable on the account within a day or so of use, so I would think any discrepancies could be taken up with ATMB before payment was taken.

If you aren't in any great rush to obtain a tag, ATMB periodically have offers where they waive the security deposit, so all you would pay is 4 euros for delivery plus 1.90 and toll charges in any month the tag is used.

As my motorhome is over 3500kg I did contact Eurotoll (after speaking to Sanef first) but they said it is mainly for heavy commercial users and consequently quite expensive - they even referred me back to Sanef!

The ATMB tag seems very reasonable for a fast trip down to Spain and I wonder if I should just get one, put it in the windscreen and see what happens. The van is under 3m but not sure if there is laser equipment measuring height there could be equipment measuring weight?

David

david lloyd - 2019-02-01 2:48 PM

As my motorhome is over 3500kg I did contact Eurotoll (after speaking to Sanef first) but they said it is mainly for heavy commercial users and consequently quite expensive - they even referred me back to Sanef!

The ATMB tag seems very reasonable for a fast trip down to Spain and I wonder if I should just get one, put it in the windscreen and see what happens. The van is under 3m but not sure if there is laser equipment measuring height there could be equipment measuring weight?

David

To the best of my knowledge French autoroute toll-booths have no equipment to measures the weight of a vehicle or to ‘sense’ how many axles it has.

As has been mentioned in the past, the autoroute weight criterion involves the vehicle’s Maximum Authorised Mass (PTAC in French) ) not how much it actually weighs when it arrives at the toll-booth.

So, even if a 3500kg MAM motorhome has been overloaded beyond 3500kg, this does not affect its autoroute Class. Similarly, if (say) a 3850kg MAM motorhome is being operated at a 3500kg weight, that still means it should be categorised as (at least) Class 3.

Thank you for the clarification Derek. Although I realise that a 3500kg motorhome could be travelling overloaded and conversely, a motorhome of over 3500kg MAM could be travelling at under 3500kg but that it matters not as the MAM on the V5 or weight plate is what will determine the class charged at the toll. However, if I want to apply for a tag (from any company) I assume I will have to declare the MAM on any application form but I wonder if some Motorhomers have declared their vehicle as under 3500kg (when, in fact, the MAM is over) as to declare otherwise would mean the application being turned down

David

david lloyd - 2019-02-04 6:04 PM

...I wonder if some Motorhomers have declared their vehicle as under 3500kg (when, in fact, the MAM is over) as to declare otherwise would mean the application being turned down

David

Dunno, where autoroute ’tags’ are concerned it should be a low-risk ploy.

Archived