Licence Renewal, Section 88 and Europe

GrahamPye

All,

Like many I'm lost in the DVLA's licence renewal black hole... So a few questions to see what experiences others have had:

I recently turned 70 and decided to try and keep my C1. I sent my D4, medical report, etc., off to the DVLA back in March. For reasons best known to themselves the DVLA have decided that one of the minor medical conditions on my medical report merits further investigation, even though the doctor who did it was quite happy for me to continue driving. Consequently I'm in the large pile of applications waiting to be processed. In May I was told that my application had been received and got my application reference number - this is important as it means that Section 88 applies and I can continue driving even though my licence has now expired.

I'm due to go to Europe in September, so I'd really like my driving licence back before then. My options seem to be:

1) Take a chance on driving in Europe without a physical licence, although it's widely reported that Section 88 doesn't apply outside the UK, so I'm unlikely to do that.

2) Cross my fingers and hope that my licence arrives in time - this requires committing to the cost of the trip beforehand so that's not very likely either.

3) Tell the DVLA that I wish to withdraw my application and just renew it without C1.

Has anyone actually done option 3? I was told by the DVLA that I can only do the withdrawal on the phone. Can I then immediately apply for a "simple" licence renewal online?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Graham

GrahamPye - 2022-07-03 1:14 PM

All,

Like many I'm lost in the DVLA's licence renewal black hole... So a few questions to see what experiences others have had:

I recently turned 70 and decided to try and keep my C1. I sent my D4, medical report, etc., off to the DVLA back in March. For reasons best known to themselves the DVLA have decided that one of the minor medical conditions on my medical report merits further investigation, even though the doctor who did it was quite happy for me to continue driving. Consequently I'm in the large pile of applications waiting to be processed. In May I was told that my application had been received and got my application reference number - this is important as it means that Section 88 applies and I can continue driving even though my licence has now expired.

I'm due to go to Europe in September, so I'd really like my driving licence back before then. My options seem to be:

1) Take a chance on driving in Europe without a physical licence, although it's widely reported that Section 88 doesn't apply outside the UK, so I'm unlikely to do that.

2) Cross my fingers and hope that my licence arrives in time - this requires committing to the cost of the trip beforehand so that's not very likely either.

3) Tell the DVLA that I wish to withdraw my application and just renew it without C1.

Has anyone actually done option 3? I was told by the DVLA that I can only do the withdrawal on the phone. Can I then immediately apply for a "simple" licence renewal online?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Graham

Why not try to do a non C1 renewal on line? If it works then you have a licence and perhaps you may even get C1 back when the eventually get round to it?

I'm shortly to be in the same boat.

I'm reliably informed (by someone who's just done it) that an on-line renewal if eligible (mainly passport photo required), even from an existing paper licence, is a matter of days.

As I don't currently need it, I'll relinquish my C1, and consider whether I want to get it restored in the future.

Why not try to do a non C1 renewal on line? If it works then you have a licence and perhaps you may even get C1 back when the eventually get round to it?

Tried that , and it won't let me. I presume it knows that I'm in the middle of another application. I've asked the DVLA whether I can do this, but the person I spoke to didn't fill me with confidence in his answer, hence seeking experience here! I suppose I'm going to have to sit on the phone for another hour and get a second opinion from (hopefully) a different person at the DVLA.

Graham

Robinhood - 2022-07-03 5:00 PM

I'm reliably informed (by someone who's just done it) that an on-line renewal if eligible (mainly passport photo required), even from an existing paper licence, is a matter of days.

That was my wife's experience too, she submitted her non-C1 application online on Monday and the licence arrived on Thursday.

OTOH, the DVLA's website claims that they will be back to normal processing time (whatever that means!) by September.

Graham

I am 70 in October but as I have had some problems of late with my hands I have decided to just simply down size and just give up any entitlements. I can drive ok but have difficulty in putting it into reverse gear with one hand, nothing very serious but I just didnt want any hassles. I am taking this opportunity to also get another MH that is a little shorter to help a little on my drive where I have to park our car behind our vehicle. We sold our van on Friday meaning we are without one for a while, the first time in many years, but we are hoping to get one before October when we hope to go to France for the second time this year.

Archived