Long term house insurance

bob

Hi, does anyone out there know of an insurance company that will give continued insurance cover for my house while I am on an extended holiday? My present company will only cover it for 30 days of non-residency. I could really do with about 90 days. Thanks Bob.

I have had assurances form Caravan Club ins service - Camping club as above and SAGA that we can get cover for up to 180 days away We havent followed them up as someone lives here when we are away

NATWEST do "60 days non occupancy" (which can be easily extended with family occupancy) as standard but their charges are much higher than Lloyds TSB who promised 60 days when I phoned them. The paperwork that they sent only gave me 30 days. Abandoned them and went to Caravan Club (who insure my van and car without hassle) who promised 60 days when I phoned them but the paperwork gave me 30 days only. I spent too much time on the phone to make changing from NATWEST a sensible proposition. It also took six months to get all the refunds sorted out on my credit card. Lloyds TSB, despite my cancellation of their policy eventually sent paperwork which gave me "60 days non occupancy" In the process the house was effectively uninsured for 1 month. Shopping around can be extremely tedious!!!! Likewise with gas and electricity suppliers who will quote without the 5% VAT that we all have to pay. No wonder they promise lower bills! Whatever you buy make sure that the paperwork matches what you were told over the phone....and don't forget to ask for the name of the assistant. Looks like being a Grumpy New Year...until I can get away in the 'van.

Guest Brian Ramsden
I am with "More Than". provided you notify them before your trip and have the house visited on a weekly basis they are OK. Don't know what their limit is, but our last terip was 78 days and they didn't quibble. Brian

Thanks all. Got it sorted. CIS will give us the 90 days we need, so long as the house remains furnished. They'd also like some-one to visit & check it out, weekly, if possible. Thanks Bob.

Guest Brian Kirby
May be too late, but also try Comfort insurance. They advertise in MMM. Insurance is via Norwich Union and you can get varying periods of absence, no strings, no visitors etc. All that varies is the premium, the longer you leave the house empty, the greater the risk someone will notice, the higher the likelihood thay may try to get in and, hence, the more you pays. Regards Brian

Archived