Looking to buy an Avtec 24"

michele

I have the Series 9 model which has a been fine. No problems at all on the terrestrial, haven't tried the DVD yet. I have a 5 year old Snipe sat aerial which gave erratic connection to the satellite. Spoke to the Avtex help line which was most helpful. I updated the aerial software and retuned and results have been pretty good. On one occasion one channel wouldn't tune in on one site but on others it worked fine. I think more an aerial problem than the TV.

Overall no complaints.

Dick

We have a 18" Avtex tv with DVD and Sat, it's as good or better than anything out there, but the sat EPG is a PITA, it is 'free to air' not freesat, this means it only shows 'now and next' programmes and when there are frequency changes it needs to be manually retuned and then you need to mess about swapping channels if you want to have them logicaly numbered, but this is the same for all sat tv's designed for motorhomes.

I bought a 21.5 inch Avtex last Christmas. It was sold as full HD but frankly I find that difficult to believe - the picture simply does not seem up to it. I bought in online, so had no chance to test it before purchase. My misgiving with the screen quality is bourne out now since I have taken delivery of a new Hymer that came with a 32 inch screen as part of their 60 edition. It is made by German firm Alphatronics and is streets ahead of the Avtex, not simply in picture quality but it is a full Android powered smart TV with a keyboard. You can see pricing at Amazon.de and other online retailers - just need google translate. They have a variety of screen sizes.

I found this English article describing their TV's:

https://www.alphatronics.de/files/home_en/1_1_aboutcamp-magazine.pdf

Thank you all. WE have been happy with the two we have except for the one in the bedroom has never had good volume and i ended up buying a surround speaker. Hubby wants a new one ,just thought Id ask and see what else is out there with a good quality.

Thank you all.

Curdle thanks for the link having a read now ,looks good he is going to be checking this out .

Extension ear pieces are good if the hearing is difficult as it presents the sound directly into the ear with no echo effect ... and especially with age where we lose many of the high frequencies where any sounds can be almost a monotone of blank noise. I now cannot use any TV or radio appliance without this simple aid. Lengthy extensions are also easily available

Not sure if TWO pair of earpieces could be used but I'm sure there must be a coupler system out there. Its perfect if one of a pair wants to sleep as it cuts out all sound outside the sleeper.

I think it may be Curdles Alphatronics we go for.

We have two Avtecs one in the dining quarter and one in the back bedroom. The one in the dining area has always been excellent volume . The back bed one has never been good . Its not our hearing its just wont turn up and on max its terrible hence the surround speaker . WE have a bluetooth dongle which feeds a speaker but its a bit of a walter mitty setup. we are happy with the TV's but having just also bought a Caravan which will be used alot by the daughter we will transfer those two Tv's to the Caravan.

By the way the picture has always been clear and of an excellent quality can't complain .

Bought the 18.5" version to replace a Linsar. Certainly it has a better viewing angle and the overall picture quality is better. That said it has numerous design faults which frankly make me considering changing it.

My wife uses subtitles as she is hard of hearing (and so do I when the dialogue and/or the diction is poor). Unfortunately the subtitle select button is hidden amongst 8 others at the bottom of the screen and labeled "subt" in small text. - difficult to see in poor light. On occasions in satellite mode you have re-enter the selection.

The saving proceure for Favourite channels is very cumbersome, you can't save directly from the channel you are watching. The satellite channel numbering does not accord with the accepted international standard (WARC).. The TV is free to air(FTA), no Freesat tuner.

Worst of all for us is the many films I've saved on a usb drive. The volume is so low the dialogue is in audible and the selection method to access a film and play it can only be described as chaotic!

Moral of the above for me is- ""try before you buy"

Archived