Loss of Power in Sprinter 313

Guest Colin C

Guest Colin C
I wonder if anyone out there has experienced a similar problem to one that has ocurred twice to us in the past two months. On each occassion there has been a sudden drop in engine performance, that has disappeared as suddenly as it started. On the first occassion normal performance returned after a distance of about 15 miles followed by an overnight rest. On the second occassion, about 1500 miles and 6 weeks later, we covered about 10 miles, stopped for about 3/4 hour and it was right as rain when we moved off again. On both occassions the engine had been running normally for about 1 and 1/2 hours prior to the loss of power. The first time this happened was in France and by the time we found a Mercedes dealer the engine had been running as sweetly as ever for about 2 or 3 hours. We described what had happened and in response were told that if they plugged it into a diagnostic machine it would just say everything OK! As this would entail a long wait we decided to risk continuing with our journey. My own hunch is that the turbo cut out. There was not the usual surge of power and change in the note of the engine that normally comes in between 1500 - 2000revs. I also wonder if it is being caused by some sort of electrical glitch. Has anyone any thoughts?

Guest Carl K
Sprinter loss of power. Ive had same on my Sprinter 312. It was the easist fault to fix !!! Open bonnet, take out sender in air intake pipe,(just squeeze the lugs and pull out) carefully clean the small drop of oil from the little brown blob on the end of the sender, replace sender, close bonnet. Instant power !!!!!. 5 mins max. The little blob of oil stops the sender working, so engine brain goes in to "get you home mode" (little or no turbo, 3000 rpm max revs). A small can of brake or carb cleaner or easystart work well to remove the little blob of oil. Hope this helps.

Guest Gordon
Definately a sensor fault but the air intake one is one in say,let me count up; Coolant temp.Manifold pressure.Cam & flywheel position.Cyl block knock.Head Injector sensor.Etc,Etc,,,, Take one like the flywheel one and what have you got that could cause a problem.It might have a slack conection,might be covered in clutch lining dustor,or as known on certain cars wires may be a bit toasted due to proximity of exhaust manifold

Guest Bill Ord
Sounds like you cleaned the mass air flow meter. Not an unusual fault but lucky to be able to clean it so easily, usualy a replace job and around £60 too. Bill Ord

Guest Derek Uzzell
My Herald did something similar twice during its 6 years in my ownership. An abrupt 'thump' (as if hitting a big pothole) followed by serious loss of acceleration and top-end power. Stopping, switching off the ignition and restarting the motor cured the problem in both instances. Never tracked the cause down but it was likely to be sensor related. These types of problem are swine to diagnose unless they are well known or persist. Not sure if Carl's easy fix will be applicable as the Sprinter 313 motor is a significantly different beast to the 312 (4-cylinder rather than 5, Common Rail rather than Direct Injection, etc.) but a valuable tip for Clive and other 312-engined motorhome owners nevertheless.

Archived