Lost Keys

mrsc

In the event that we just cannot find the 2 sets of keys that have been mislaid for our 2004 Eldiss Firestorm ‘van, what is the first course of action? The company we purchased it from, suggest a garage for a new steering lock, and a locksmith for all the lockers.

Any other suggestions?

mrsc - 2019-03-04 9:07 PM

In the event that we just cannot find the 2 sets of keys that have been mislaid for our 2004 Eldiss Firestorm ‘van, what is the first course of action? The company we purchased it from, suggest a garage for a new steering lock, and a locksmith for all the lockers.

Any other suggestions?

This is a tough one.

I’m no expert but I think my second course of action would be to check my insurance policy to see if it covers lost keys and if it does and there’s no chance of finding them I’d give the problem to my insurance provider to sort out. Failing that I suspect the advice you’ve been given already is not far off the mark. It’s possible that a good keysmith could pick a habitation lock, remove it and manufacture a key to fit. More likely though I think that he’d want to remove the existing locks and replace them with a new set. The keys for the base vehicle probably imply a new ignition lock and if you have one, the immobiliser will also need to be dealt with.

My first course of action of course would be to carry on looking for the keys in a logical and structured fashion and I’d do that for at least a week if time allowed, sometimes sleeping on an issue for a few days brings the memory into play in unexpected ways.

Update: Keys now found. They were under the bathroom sink. Unfortunately the OH has Alzheimer’s, and trying to get any info as to where he might have put them is useless.

Thank you for your comments, we were covered by insurance, but the whole process has made me really re think things in the home and van.

Karen,

Glad you've found them but how about adding bluetooth locator tags so you can find them if it ever happens again?

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/URAQT-Bluetooth-Anti-lost-Tracker-Tracking-Black/dp/B01F4ZV3YM

Not a recommendation but first Google hit.

You only need a short range as it seems you are more likely to lose them at home!

Keith.

Archived