Low Pressure Gas Systems

Guest Pete Leigh

Guest Pete Leigh
Two years ago I successfully fitted a Gaslow system to my 1998 motorhome. I am now changing to a 2004 van and my dealer is suggesting that I will not be able to fit another gaslow system myself owing to different regulations on post 2003 motorhomes. Wondering if he trying to talk me into his workshop or if it is fact. Has anyone done this themselves?

Hello Pete, I have a 2005 m/home with the latest regulator and have fitted gaslow cylinders with no trouble. Gaslow sell the correct new style hoses(I think that they are called tails), Rodger

Guest Derek Uzzell
Pete: Presumably your dealer is questioning the legality of you fitting a Gasflow refillable-bottle system, rather than your competence to perform the task. In practice, if you've fitted the system previously to a vehicle with an 'old style' gas system, you should find it significantly easier to fit it to a motorhome with a current UK-standard bulkhead-mounted 30mbar regulator. (Basically, it's just a matter of screwing on some hoses and attaching the filler-point to something firm.) The obvious danger of any gas-related work is that you could end up with a system that leaks, so I suggest you consider incorporating a pressure-gauge (available from Gaslow) to allow you to confirm the system is gas-tight. I don't know what, if any, legal regulations apply to motorhome owners doing DIY gas work on their own vehicles. It seems logical that any restrictions would relate only to the 'fixed' system (in your case from the regulator onwards), otherwise it would be illegal for a 'non qualified' individual to swap the bottle-to-regulator high pressure 'pigtail' and the ability to do this is seen as a big plus-point of the latest UK standard. Fitting a Gaslow system would not affect the fixed gas system. I suppose there might be some impact on your motorhome's warranty if you start fiddling around with its core systems, but you'll have to check out that possibility yourself. Why don't you challenge your dealer on why you shouldn't be able to fit a Gaslow system? Forum members may recall that, when the current leisure-vehicle UK gas standard came in, one dealership was adamant that the (expensive) high pressure gas-hose be changed as a matter of course during every annual habitation service. The 'professionals' don't always get it right.

Archived