Low profile motorhome<2.6m

Pat

I assume the 2.6 metres is the max HEIGHT??? If so, this translates to 8' 6.5" in old currency - the tender that is used by MMM. So turn to the excellent Buyer's Guide and start scanning down the Height column and you'll rapidly see that very little fits your criterion. In fact the ONLY ones I could see are the Laika Kreos 3000 range and Laika Ecovip R660 at 7' 3" and 7' 4" respectively. However, I strongly suspect these are conversion errors so check on tha Laika website. And the are £45K to £48K. If OK they certainly meet your well-built criterion and Laika is wholly owned by Hymer. If not OK, then the only thing that will fit is a van conversion - the shortest other low profiles are 8' 8" tall. Have a look at Devon's Range on the Renault Master or (more expensive) Timberland or IH on Fiat Ducato.

Guest david lloyd
Hi Pat Have a look at the latest low profile offerings from Pioneer/Autocruise. My Startraveller is 2.54m (8' 4") high and there are a variety of models on this alko ultra low chassis including Pioneer Cezanne Pioneer Renoir Pioneer Monet Autocruise Startraveller Autocruise Starburst etc Regards, david

Guest Derek Uzzell
Mel: Your suspicions are confirmed - R660 is 2.74m high and Kreos 3000 is 2.82m. Renault-based Knaus models get down to 2.65m but, to go any lower, I think you'd have to return to the days of 'pop-top' Rapidos and Eribas.

I can only add that as a Laika Ecovip low profile owner, that height has never been a problem even with the extra foot an aircon adds and it still fits under most of barriers used in the likes of french supermarkets (whereas the over cab bed machines do not).

Have you considered getting a cover for it - not too expensive, both protects it and causes it to disappear into the background (especially in dark green) - see ads in MMM. But maybe the garage is the only alternative? The problem with the very low chassis as in Pioneer is, of course, the increased risk of grounding over the like of ramps and canal bridges, of which there seem to be a surprisingly great number.

Guest Brian Kirby
You could try looking at Eriba. They still do pop tops based on the Renault Traffic, but not the Master. Don't know if they are imported, though. They are quite a bit more sophisticated than they were, but still use an essentially similar fabric sided rising roof. Can' vouch for the heights, but I guess they are in the right general bracket. Eriba is a sister company to Hymer and the quality is, generally, as good as Hymer. Hope this helps. Brian

Thanks for the reponses. We are putting together a lsit of recommended low profiles and will visit more showrooms each weekend until we find what we are looking for.Many thanks. Pat

Guest Derek Uzzell
With its elevating-roof closed, Eriba's Trafic-based "Style" was just 2.4m tall. Two RHD variants were imported to the UK and there was a test report in 11/2004 MMM. Although Style continues to be shown in the MMM Buyers' Guide it was actually deleted from the Eriba catalogue for the 2006 model-year. Few people looking for a coachbuilt motorhome need to put an ultra-low vehicle height at the head of their wish list. "Style" would have been expensive to build and its cost (even in France) reflected this, so it's doubtful there were many takers. It's probably accurate to say that Style's place in the Eriba range has been filled by the 2.75m high, Transit-based "Van", with a conventional design and a 20% lower (French) retail price. Pat: I've a list covering most Continental-built coachbuilt motorhomes and, although quite a few have a height of 2.65m, none are lower. As David suggested earlier, only certain Autocruise/Pioneer models appear to scrape beneath your 2.6m ceiling. As size matters to you, for comparison purposes you might find it easier to use the (metric) checklist in "Which Motorcaravan" rather than MMM's Buyers' Guide.

Guest Brian Kirby
Pat Apologies for the Eriba suggestion, I hadn't noticed the Style had gone from their 2006 range. Unless you wish to consider a van conversion, or radical structural alterations (if you can't raise the roof, can you lower the floor?) to get about an extra 50mm height, you do seem to have a choice of just the two Autocruise models that are on AlKo chassis. Still, at least that should make deciding easy! Regards Brian

Archived