M/home types and weights

Guest bill

I'm stuck with 3500kg due to age. I read that Hymer have up'd their 630 to 3800kg !! possibly due to winterisation extras. Anyone got an Esterel, they are still 3500kg with a 300kg payload, any comments ? Must have two good beds. One each end! Bill

Bill You don't have to be "stuck to 3500kg because of age"! All you need is a medical report (you have to pay for it) similar to LGV driver requirements and you are get continued allowance up to 7500kg. Don't let them bully you into one of those "titchy" vans! Regards Neal

Guest Derek Uzzell
Large French motorhomes (Esterel, Le Voyageur, etc.) marketed at 3500kg overall weight are a joke when it comes to usable payload. They are invariably built on a down-plated chassis so they will be technically 'safe' when loaded well beyond the 3.5t limit even though they won't be legal. Fact is you can't build a hulking great motorhome with a hulking great engine on a hulking great chassis, fill it with domestic standard furniture and accessories and expect it to be a featherweight. Everybody knows this (and negative comments about payload usually appear in test reports on such vehicles) but the French motorhome industry and French motorcaravanners themselves choose to ignore this commonsense principle.

Neal is quite correct, but let me add a couple of points: 1. You need to renew the medical every 3 years and most Doctors will charge for the certificate. 2. The DVLA website gives full details of the medical conditions which will prevent you succeeding (or ask for the booklet at your local Post Office). Most of these are reportable for a normal licence anyway, and, if not reported, will almost certainly invalidate your insurance. 3. Once you have accepted the loss of the extra categories (i.e., haven't bothered with a medical) the only way to get them back is to take the relevant driving tests.

Archived