MAD Coil Springs -v- Goldschmitt Coil Springs.

Frank McAuley

Re above I intend to fit uprated front coil springs to my 2011 Autotrail Delaware as it now has that 'nose-down' attitude. It has an ALKO chassis with air-assisted suspension on a 3l Fiat Ducato Maxi 160.

The MAD springs raise the veh by 35mm and the Goldschmitt springs raise it by 60mm and the cost from a UK supplier (Gliderite) is £321.60 plus carriage for either make.

Goldschmitt state in their website that there is little sense in uprating the springs if the load on the front axle is less than 1500 kgs; the Technically Permissable Mass permitted on my vehicle's front axle is 2100kgs and 2400 kgs for the rear axle.

Goldschmitt produce two types of springs which seem to equate to my motorhome which has a Max Gross Weight of 4250 kgs:-

model 35/40 Heavy (001EC 371);

model 35/40 Heavy for 2000kg actual front axle load (001 EC371-01).

I simply do not know which springs to fit and as I am aware of the potential to upset the handling I would appreciate some advice please,especially from those who have fitted these springs or have been involved in doing so.

Any costings re the supply and fitting would also be appreciated please.

I had MAD springs fitted to the rear of my previous Hymer B584 which transformed the handling without the huge cost of air suspension.

One of the main reasons I went that route was being shown, at the BT fleet garage I use, who maintain AA vehicles.....all the breakdown vans used by the AA had MAD springs fitted. Good enough for me.

Our current Hymer has Goldsmitt springs as standard far better ride than previous Hymer with Fiat springs, although the front end is hight van still has a nose down attitude.

I would have thought the logical thing to to is get advice from Autotrail to which springs are suitable.

Frank McAuley - 2015-07-24 1:57 PM

Re above I intend to fit uprated front coil springs to my 2011 Autotrail Delaware as it now has that 'nose-down' attitude. It has an ALKO chassis with air-assisted suspension on a 3l Fiat Ducato Maxi 160.

The MAD springs raise the veh by 35mm and the Goldschmitt springs raise it by 60mm and the cost from a UK supplier (Gliderite) is £321.60 plus carriage for either make.

Goldschmitt state in their website that there is little sense in uprating the springs if the load on the front axle is less than 1500 kgs; the Technically Permissable Mass permitted on my vehicle's front axle is 2100kgs and 2400 kgs for the rear axle.

Goldschmitt produce two types of springs which seem to equate to my motorhome which has a Max Gross Weight of 4250 kgs:-

model 35/40 Heavy (001EC 371);

model 35/40 Heavy for 2000kg actual front axle load (001 EC371-01).

I simply do not know which springs to fit and as I am aware of the potential to upset the handling I would appreciate some advice please,especially from those who have fitted these springs or have been involved in doing so.

Any costings re the supply and fitting would also be appreciated please.

Our van has Goldschmitt M11 front springs that do not enhance the front axle load, but lift the front higher. You may find this catalogue useful: http://tinyurl.com/nosozby

I note that on page 25 it states the 001.EC371-01 spring is "Suitable for models 35/40 Heavy. [RED]From[/RED] 2000 kg actual front axle load." and not, as above, "[RED]for[/RED] 2,000kg actual front axle load".

Your primary reason for installing new springs, as I understand it, would be to correct the front ride height and not to enhance the front axle load of 2,100kg. I would think, therefore, that (unless you know the front axle is prone to overload) your best option would be the 001.EX371-01 springs.

However, Travelworld, Shropshire, http://tinyurl.com/oncfbjp are UK agents for Goldschmitt, and I assume are themselves equipped to advise, or can consult Goldschmitt for technical guidance. It seems logical that they are also equipped to fit the springs, which would seem not to be a DIY task as spring clamps of some strength would be required.

Tyou folks for your help.Brian you're correct in your understanding of my intention in having the springs installed ( not by me, may I add). Your clever highlighting of the qualification 'from' as opposed to 'for' is most helpful and I would therefore agree with your choice!

I have requested clarification from Goldschmitt and the UK supplier but unfortunately the former is on hols. AT has not been of assistance- they referred me to the dealer!

Frank McAuley - 2015-07-28 9:01 AM

Tyou Paul. Have you used these or do you have any knowledge of anybody who has?

No experience so far Frank.. Came close a few months ago but was told that our 2008 3.0 Kontiki tag may also need new top bushes and possibly struts. We've pout this job on hold for now. On the plus side, there a few guys on the Fiat Forum (Ducato section) that have fitted the springs mentioned on some 2.3 vans and have reported no problems after many 1000's miles. The trick seems to be getting the length and diameter right first time but that's where we take the gamble.

I'll be measuring the diameter of our stock coils soon but can't measure the free length until they're off - catch 22?

• 3 months later...
I have just had Goldschmitt springs fitted on the 27/11/2015 to my aging Hymer E700 dating from 1999. The vehicle is a "tag axle" Hymer and is in excellent condition and has served me well for about 10 to 11 years. I was quoted By Travelworlds Service centre manager Erik Baxendale . £469 for the spring kit and £781 for complete package. That's springs and fitting and was quoted a fitting time of 4 hours. The recommended springs were 001.EC241. My motorhome went into the workshop at 08.30 and I drove away at 16.00, so a little longer than 4 hours for fitting. That would be OK if there had been no issues with the work carried out. I have had the work inspected by the AA and an MOT station and on the mechanical side the fitting seems good... apart from the brake pad wear sensors have had the cables cut off or pulled until broken The system, ie the springs are very good and Goldschmitt have a excellent product. The drive home from Telford (Travelworld) would have been a pleasure until i started to notice one or two problems. This was to do with the lower facia panel and alarm sensors below the instrument panel and glove box. I have not spoken with Travelworld as yet but will do today. Watch this space. PS sorry if I have broken any forum rules. Just telling the facts as they are.

keninpalamos - 2015-11-27 8:39 AM

I have just had Goldschmitt springs fitted on the 27/11/2015 to my aging Hymer E700 dating from 1999. The vehicle is a "tag axle" Hymer and is in excellent condition and has served me well for about 10 to 11 years. I was quoted By Travelworlds Service centre manager Erik Baxendale . £469 for the spring kit and £781 for complete package. That's springs and fitting and was quoted a fitting time of 4 hours. The recommended springs were 001.EC241. My motorhome went into the workshop at 08.30 and I drove away at 16.00, so a little longer than 4 hours for fitting. That would be OK if there had been no issues with the work carried out. I have had the work inspected by the AA and an MOT station and on the mechanical side the fitting seems good... apart from the brake pad wear sensors have had the cables cut off or pulled until broken The system, ie the springs are very good and Goldschmitt have a excellent product. The drive home from Telford (Travelworld) would have been a pleasure until i started to notice one or two problems. This was to do with the lower facia panel and alarm sensors below the instrument panel and glove box. I have not spoken with Travelworld as yet but will do today. Watch this space. PS sorry if I have broken any forum rules. Just telling the facts as they are.

Following on from that, I have spoken to The service manager at Travelworld who apologized on behalf of Travelworld. He requested photo's of the problems I have pointed out which I have sent eight photo's. I have told him I am not after compensation nor do I want them to "put it right" as it would cost me money and time to take my 'van back to Travelworld. As things stand I would recommend the Goldschmitt brand but have the work done elsewhere. I have received an apologetic email from the service manager Erik Baxendale and I think I will hear no more from them. As for the damaged caused by them, I will repair that myself or take it to the local primary school to be repaired as I'm sure they would do a better job!

Have fitted MAD springs to several vehicles over the years, always on the rear though,on caravan tow cars, which always improved towing stability and handling, yet never seem to affect solo handling by making the ride too hard.Also fitted a set to the rear of my 1988 Autosleeper Talisman, which corrected a weakness in the rear leaf springs, and improved the handling greatly.Fitted them all myself ,although I wouldn't attempt to fit a set on the front. Have no experience of Goldschmitt springs, but can vouch for the quality of MAD springs.

Archived