MH name

scarecrow

scarecrow - 2022-01-18 6:15 PM

Hi all. I've just joined and already I need a little advice please. We're picking up our new to us motorhome tomorrow, an Autotrail Tracker, and my wife wants to call it Nigel. What should I do?.....

Ask her what she doesn't like about the van ?

;-)

Our previous motorhome was an Autotrail Tracker. It was known as "tracker". Our current motorhome an Adria is also known as "tracker". If we say we are in the "tracker" everyone of our friends know where we are. I guess it is like most vacuum cleaners were known as "Hoovers" The bottom line is it is what you become comfortable with any name after a while. My mates sat nav is called "Svetlana" as she is difficult to understand when translating European street names to English & often leads him astray, but I digress. Cheers,

Received wisdom is that if a husband who has taken no interest in cooking suddenly decides to learn to cook, it's likely that he has divorce in mind.

Not sure if a wife giving a vehicle a man's name (or a woman's name for that matter) might be considered 'suspicious', but a husband giving a vehicle a female name (other than his wife's) should perhaps set alarm bells ringing.

I notice that the name Nigel is not popular nowadays in England and Wales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel

so some other possibilities are here

https://www.autosimple.com/blog/what-should-i-name-my-car-best-car-names/

https://axleaddict.com/cars/car-names

https://www.confused.com/car-name-generator

We tend to name our vehicles after grandparents, so my Citroen 2CV is "Doris" and our Benimar is "Mabel". Our Sachs 125cc motorbike is the only one we haven't named. "MadAss", we think, is unique enough!

(The other name we have to play with is "Ethel Ada", but I think we'll give that a miss?)

Play for time. You will have fun in the van and the van will seem to gain a personality; that's when you should name it. We had 'Annabelle' with the name plastered over the bonnet (A Class) after a year and even the dealer used that name when referring to our van. We named our next van as soon as we took delivery and never used the name - even the decals peeled off quickly! Our current one was going to be named after the dustbin lorry it was so bad - Dennis - but we never got around to it.

Take a trip down to the local marina and see if the missus can spot a better name.

Perhaps my wife and I have little imagination but all our caravans (static and touring) and PVCs have always been simply “the ‘van”.

I do agree with the adage “happy wife, happy life”. Not that I’m henpecked – yes dear, straight away dear, how high dear!

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Whatever name you settle on enjoy your ‘van.

Cattwg :-D

Like Cattwg we always refer to it as ‘the van’. It is I think a useful reminder that it’s there for a practical purpose rather than an end in itself.

If you refer to it likewise i suspect that eventually ‘Nigel’ will drop out of your household lexicon.

Alternatively change your name to Nigel.

I'd only worry if the plumber or washing machine technician was named Nigel.

And if in the last year your wife has called you while you were at work to tell you that a tap was leaking or that the washing machine was having problems and you answered to call the maintenance service ...

scarecrow - 2022-01-18 6:15 PM

Hi all. I've just joined and already I need a little advice please. We're picking up our new to us motorhome tomorrow, an Autotrail Tracker, and my wife wants to call it Nigel. What should I do?.....

If she works with someone called 'Nigel' and starts mumbling the name in her sleep, I would be worried. If not she is only maybe making plans for your new motorhome and 'Nigel' is appropriate. He just needs that helping hand and his whole future will be as good as sealed.

Hi all. Thanks very much for your thoughts and good wishes. It appears that the name is deived from the words of an XTC song as Jimbo sussed:-

'We're only making plans for Nigel

We only want what's best for him

He must be happy

He must be happy

He must be happy in his world'

So if happy MH, then happy wife and hopefully happy me.

It might make sense to someone but definately 'Nice If Grossly Expensive Luxury' (thanks Conrad)

Anyway, he's on the driveway being mollycoddled.

Archived