MMM magazine

Guest PHIL ZERA

Guest PHIL ZERA
I won't be renewing my subscription. MMM has far too many ads (too much pub kills the pub)and the letters page is exceedingly boring.

Well Phil as they as you pays your money (or dont) and takes your choice Most of the mags on whatever subject (we also take a few on Cross Stitching) seem to be taking on more ads But you cannot refuse to accept the money when someone wants to pay you - thats business It may not be a bad thing really so many dealers seeking trade - There may be more in the way of reduced deals available

Guest Derek Uzzell
I shall be renewing my MMM subscription. I find the readers' letters extremely entertaining (particularly mine!) The more ads the merrier in my book if they help to keep the magazine price down, but it would be nice if they were all in a single pull-out supplement that I could chuck away once I'd scanned through the ads. (OK, I know that's an unrealistic suggestion, but I keep a rolling 3 years of MMMs from which I amputate all the ads and anything else that doesn't interest me. This reduces the storage requirement on my bookshelves but takes time to do.)

Guest Brian Ramsden
I have just renewed my subscription. I agree with Derek about the aadvertising - it keeps down the cost and just occaisionally it is useful. I too find the letters interesting, and the technical pages. I would like to see more technical articles and less travelogues Brian

Well Phil Zera, qwhy not write the odd interesting one (not as boring as your posting please). I used to subscribe to a mag called Cycling Plus; even with the ads it's now about four quid and not nearly as interesting as MMM. All mags ebb & flow; open up your perceptions, you might amaze yourself!

Guest Maureen Smith
I pay my subscription via direct debit to make sure I get my copy and I can't wait to read the letters first. Some are boring, I accept that, but most are quite entertaining and informative. As I work for a company that scans paperwork onto cd's I would quite like to see MMM on disc. Much easier to store and keep. Maureen.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Maureen: Agree there would be benefits for storage (very handy for me), but not everyone has a home computer and you'd lose the simplicity of a hard-copy magazine. I guess Warners could offer subscribers the option of paper or CD, or (for an extra fee) both, but I'm doubtful that it would be worthwhile commercially at this stage. There are also copyright implications to consider. As I'm certain you are aware, once 'stuff' is made accessible digitally people have little hesitation in copying it willy-nilly.

Guest Rowan Lee
Okay, so Phil doesn't want to buy it anymore. Why does he feel it necessary to tell us all? We thoroughly enjoy MMM and when we were looking for our first motorhome a couple of years ago, found all the adverts interesting too. We still glance at them to see what's what. There has been a mine of information for us since then, much of which has been directly applicable to us. Thanks MMM and all its contributors, please keep it up. This forum too, we get proper answers to proper questions.

Guest John Dinning
Sorry to see that Phil Zera is not going to renew his subscription to MMM. I am sure that most people realise that a magazine has two main sources of income, namely sales of the magazine ( some received in advance via subscriptions) and payment from advertisers. Without the advertisers the cover price would rocket, sales would drop and publishing the magazine would not become viable. Why does MMM carry so many adverts? Because it is, arguably, the most popular of all of the motorcaravan magazines. The advertisers only have so much budgeted money available and they are going to place it where they think it is going to have the most beneficial effect. It is possible to get a good idea of their assessment of the various magazines by comparing how much space they take in each one. Maybe two or three pages in MMM and only one page or a half page in one of the others. Or maybe no advert at all. If Phil wants to compare value for money then a good test is, besides comparing the cover price, to count the number of "readable" pages in each magazine i.e those pages without advertisements and see what results he gets. And Phil, if you read this, I have a feeling that before the year is out you will find the irresistible urge to have a glance inside a copy of MMM when you see it on a newsagents bookshelf, if only to reassure yourself that you were right about the number of adverts, but hopefully to buy a copy. I hope so- after all one less sale might mean the cover price going up- but it would be nice to keep you in the fold.

Maureen I'm just trying to work out how I could 'read' MMM off a CD in bed ... without a laptop!!! Now what WOULD be a good idea is if some bright spark came up with a 'free' CD which listed important articles, tech stuff etc - basically a glorified index. People could then check it when they wanted to find something in their back copies. You know what I mean, you just know you've read a piece about the very job that you're about to perform but can't for the life of you remember which issue of the mag it was in!!!

Archived