MOB roaming charges in the EU

BruceM

I’ve been examining this conundrum to determine the best approach.

I’m a Three Mobile user with an unlimited 4G/5G contract. Three Mobile continue to offer ‘free roaming’ in the EU and beyond however they have now introduced a European ‘roaming activation’ charge of £2/day. So that’s about £60/month! Roaming data limits still apply.

My research indicates that the Superdrug SIM alternative provides the best value. £20/month, no fixed contract, unlimited data etc with the usual lower limits when roaming, no additional roaming charge and apparently uses the Three Mobile network.

I’m wondering if anyone has come across a more cost effective approach? European SIMs appear uncompetitively priced. Note that we’re not interested in streaming entertainment - just keeping in touch via voice/text/internet and maybe some light browsing to get periodic news updates.

Have you looked at O2 they seem to have various Sim only deals where the same usage applies as in the UK when travelling in Europe. I’m with Plusnet myself (supported by the EE network) and they have told me there are no plans to introduce roaming charges yet.

Both our phones are with TescoMobile (O2). No roaming charges and all working fine in France & Spain.

I also have an AsdaMobile (Vodafone) SIM in an old phone and the 30 day 'bundle' that I purchased before we left is working fine too with no roaming charges.

laimeduck - 2021-10-19 6:33 PM

You might want to look at Giff Gaff.

They have all sorts of plans (goodybags) from £6 pcm through £8, £10 £15 etc which give varying amount of data.

Can be used in EU with no extra charge. They use the O2 network

See detail on their web page

https://www.giffgaff.com/roaming-charges

Jeremy

they have a cap of 20 gig in europe

Quoting the OP:

"I’m a Three Mobile user with an unlimited 4G/5G contract. Three Mobile continue to offer ‘free roaming’ in the EU and beyond however they have now introduced a European ‘roaming activation’ charge of £2/day. So that’s about £60/month! Roaming data limits still apply."

My understanding is that the £2/day charge for "Go Roaming in Europe" only applies to "new Three Contracts taken out from the beginning of this month.

If as stated you are already a Three user, try putting your planned destination in the box found on this Three Mobile website, and plod through the links it throws up:

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam

EDIT:

Or if this Link works go directly to here for France:

http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/France

Quoting from the above:

"Pay Monthly Roaming charges

If your current plan started before 1 October 2021, calls and texts to the UK and between Go Roam in Europe destinations are included in your allowance. You can use up to 12GB of data, which will simply come out of your allowance. After that a small surcharge applies (see below).

If you joined Three or upgraded on or after 1 October 2021, you'll need to pay a daily charge of £2 to unlock your UK allowance in France. This daily rate will only apply from 23 May 2022.* "

pagey - 2021-10-20 4:32 PM

laimeduck - 2021-10-19 6:33 PM

You might want to look at Giff Gaff.

They have all sorts of plans (goodybags) from £6 pcm through £8, £10 £15 etc which give varying amount of data.

Can be used in EU with no extra charge. They use the O2 network

See detail on their web page

https://www.giffgaff.com/roaming-charges

Jeremy

they have a cap of 20 gig in europe

Also they will halt the sim after 2 months usage in the EU.

Not sure if this is the case for others.

I thought of having 2 GiffGaff sims some to overcome the 2 month problem, but I'm not sure if I can buy a goodybag for the second whilst outside the UK.

(Edited to correct mistake)

I have read a post by a Swedish chap on another forum who changed recently to an unlimited Irish Vodafone Sim for 20euros per month because he claims it isn't capped whilst roaming and they do not enforce the fair use policy for time abroad in the same way Vodafone UK didn't until earlier this year.

I read the terms and conditions and it does say all data available to use when roaming. They do have a fair use policy regarding time spent abroad but Vodafone UK did for years and only just began enforcing it earlier this year.

I am surprised none of the Irish members have posted about this before so welcome any comments on Vodafone Ireland from them.

I use a local Simyo prepay sim in Spain. 9 euros for 25gb data and topup everytime i run out.

Anyone considering GifGaf who work on the O2 network needs to be aware of their fair usage policy. We had a mobile on GifGaf which we only used occasionally at home after only a short time in europe they shut down our connection quoting their fair usage policy saying that it needs to be used more at home than away

It seems that the daily charge of £2 a day or £10 a month should only come into force after December 31st 2021. Up till then you shouldn't have to pay a roaming charge. Also, the main operators are phasing in their charges, so the December deadline may not apply to all operators. In the EU, as I understand it, free roaming is available but only to EU members, another "benefit" of Brexit!!

Archived