MOT now, or wait a while?

laimeduck

My MOT is due soon and I am wondering whether to get it done, or with the 6 month MOT holiday, leave it a while.

I can't see any advantage to doing it now, so am veering towards waiting.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Jeremy

I would aim to get it MOT'ed when it suits you best, if you leave it 6 months that will be November/December, if you don't use it much around then it would be a good time to get it done, but if you are away to winter in spain around then maybe not so good.

Question, when would you rather get your MH re-MOT'd next year, June or December? If June then get it done now, if December (or earlier if you choose) then take the extension.

Unfortunately I got my MH MOT'd a couple of days before they announced the 6 months extension back in March so I didn't get the extension. But I have had the extension on my car, it was applied three days before the expiry date of the previous MOT.

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-06-01 4:45 PM

Unfortunately I got my MH MOT'd a couple of days before they announced the 6 months extension back in March so I didn't get the extension. But I have had the extension on my car, it was applied three days before the expiry date of the previous MOT.

Keith.

Had the same, our MOT was due 7th April, had it done 16th March, just before extension was announced, but not too concerned as mid March is a better time for us than mid September.

The MOT is an important safety check. I’ve had the MOT pick up things missed during a service in the past and it at least shows that you’ve taken reasonable steps to ensure that you have a road safe vehicle should you be involved in an accident. It’s also low cost – at most you’ll save £25 by delaying it 6 months. I’ve had all my vehicles MOT’d during lock down. With the drop my garage has had in business they were grateful for the work and booked me in quickly.

My Hackney vehicle was due an mot l2 weeks ago.

I didn’t have to take it, but just imagine the consequences of an accident.

A small defect would invalidate your insurance.

Also at the end of this pandemic everyone will be rushing to get an mot.

Why not take it now to a quiet mot station and you can relax knowing it’s done.

Just take some wipes for the steering wheel. Gear lever. Indicators. Door handles. Horn. Hand break ect.

Den

laimeduck - 2020-06-01 4:32 PM

My MOT is due soon and I am wondering whether to get it done, or with the 6 month MOT holiday, leave it a while.

I can't see any advantage to doing it now, so am veering towards waiting.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Jeremy

The timing of my van MoTs relates to ' the start of my touring season ' - so it's done in March. I can then forget about it all year and go where I like when I like.

If I delayed it would then mean that I would lose the chance to use it for a day ( or more ) when I could normally be away.

I don't really see anything is gained by delaying unless a van has been SORNED..

:-|

A possible warning here. Our van was Sorned in October. I normally re tax in March,I did not this year because of the virus. Our MOT is due this week, today I phoned our tester. A, to see if they were testing at the moment , and B to ask their advice, as it's on Sorn and the MOT date has been extended, should I have it done later. They told me one of their customers had delayed the MOT date, then had an accident. His insurance company would not cover him as they had not agreed to the MOT delay with him.

Brian B.

thebishbus - 2020-06-01 7:16 PM

A possible warning here. Our van was Sorned in October. I normally re tax in March,I did not this year because of the virus. Our MOT is due this week, today I phoned our tester. A, to see if they were testing at the moment , and B to ask their advice, as it's on Sorn and the MOT date has been extended, should I have it done later. They told me one of their customers had delayed the MOT date, then had an accident. His insurance company would not cover him as they had not agreed to the MOT delay with him.

Brian B.

The Government have extended the duration of the MOT by 6 months so the MOT is still valid and the insurance company have to accept that. They have no choice in the matter, the MOT is valid. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020#how-the-6-month-extension-works

There are 'rumours' that the 6 month MOT extension will be removed shortly as garages are returning to full operation and they need the money that MOT's generate. They have a vested interest and are using the safety card to sway the Govermnent to remove the extension. It is for the reason that it can be swiftly removed that the rolling extension date is only 7 days prior to the original expiry date.

Mine was due on the 25th May now extended to the 25th November, the garage rang me last week to re book but as I wouldn't be allowed to wait in the dealership and they are not hiring cars it couldn't be booked.

There is nowhere nearby to walk to and I have mobility issues anyway, so they are going to ring me back next week as things will have changed I.E the dealership will be open and somewhere to sit and wait. lol

I would have thought that the Insurance company would be on very thin ice unless the vehicle wasn't roadworthy in a very obvious way?

Pete

thebishbus - 2020-06-01 7:16 PM

They told me one of their customers had delayed the MOT date, then had an accident. His insurance company would not cover him as they had not agreed to the MOT delay with him.

Brian B.

'You' don't delay the MOT date, the government gives you a new date for when a MOT is due, I suspect there's more to it than they are telling you.

As for the replies that this might suddenly make vehicles unsafe, well that depends on your attitude to vehicle maintenance, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a problem in France and Germany where most tests are valid for 2 years.

EU minimum requirements for periodic roadworthiness tests for the vehicle category into which ‘motorhomes’ fall are

four years after the date on which the vehicle was first registered and thereafter every two years.

though the UK chooses three years after the date on which the vehicle was first registered and then every year.

As rayc mentions above, the UK motor trade is keen for the 6 months MOT extension to be rescinded (example article here)

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/government-confirms-six-month-mot-extension-cancelled-time-industry-bodies-call-ended-now/193208

I particularly liked Kwik Fit’s statement that it believed

“...1,096,000 vehicles that have received a six-month extension would have failed a test. Of those, it is estimated that some 316,000 would have dangerous defects, while the remaining 780,000 vehicles would fail with major defects.”

I didn’t know Kwik Fit had NSA-power super computers, or perhap Mystic Meg is a KwiK fit consultant.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-03 12:11 PM

“...1,096,000 vehicles that have received a six-month extension would have failed a test. Of those, it is estimated that some 316,000 would have dangerous defects, while the remaining 780,000 vehicles would fail with major defects.”

I didn’t know Kwik Fit had NSA-power super computers, or perhap Mystic Meg is a KwiK fit consultant.

I wonder if anyone has ever estimated how many perfectly safe cars have been " failed " -

:-D

malc d - 2020-06-03 12:26 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-03 12:11 PM

I wonder if anyone has ever estimated how many perfectly safe cars have been " failed " -

:-D

I suspect more than average at Kwik Fit.

Archived