MOTOR HOME VALUE

crob

I am trying to get a value for selling my motorhome. There's nothing on Auto trader or the Internet, probably because our vehicle is a bit unique.

It's a Hymer S740 on a Mercedes 6 ton chassis registered November 2003 with 80k on the clock. Other than phoning dealers is there some other source to get a potential sale value does anyone know?

Thanks.

You could try getting a valuation from Bundesvan who have a vast experience of importing secondhand German vans. See: http://www.bundesvan.co.uk/showroom.php

Alternatively, have a look at this German site to give you an idea of secondhand prices: https://www.mobile.de/

They currently have 3 Hymer S740 listed. Somewhere around £25k would be my guestimate.

Probably easier to sell in UK if it is RHD but many UK buyers are now preferring LHD if they spend most of their time in mainland Europe, like me :-D

I think these are lovely MHs and the S740 is a comfortable gentleman's lounge on wheels without being too long.  It is however too tall and too heavy for most buyers, so you need to address the niche market to which it might appeal.

Best way to get a value is to offer it around to dealers - and I'm afraid that in UK it may not really be what they want, perhaps at any price.

If it is LHD you could try to sell it on mobile.de, where examples of this series of S Class are often listed by private sellers.  If it's RHD advertise on EBay - ask as high a price as you think you could possibly get and say that you are open to offers.  You'll get some silly offers but you might also get a useful feel for what it might sell for.

Another possibility would be to sell through a dealer on commission; yo wouldn't get your money until hey sell it but they would probably get a better price than you would and you would probably end up better off.

The problem is finding a trustworthy dealer.  I can thoroughly recommend Todds of Lostock Hall nr Preston in Lancashire, a long established family firm.  The operate from a large former cotton mill and so all the MHs are indoors.

Archived