Made a momentous holiday decision ........

Adiebt

Good on you - hope it all works - I have a deep distrust of all this new fangled technology!

You're not going to miss much because, unless things have changed, there is very little to watch on TV unless you understand Spanish / Portuguese / French!

We used to take the TV and a bundle of DVDs bought from charity shops, and you could often find English language films on DVD at car boot sales in Spain.

Hope the sun shines so much that you don't need any other entertainment, safe travels.

I've got hundreds of hours of TV programmes recorded on to DVD which I have had in the van for years and not got around to watching. Waste too much time on here.

I understand thats out of date now though and its better to record TV programmes on to a memory stick?

Might get around to that if I ever get through alll these DVDs.

Adiebt - 2018-08-23 12:59 PM

We are not taking the tellys ( for the first time ) on our Iberian adventure , loaded the iPads with all sorts ( iPlayer / Amazon / iTunes ) for emergencies :-) :-) :-)

Big bold decision or what ?

Not at all.

We've only taken a telly a couple of times in the last 15 years or so of motorhoming - and then didn't use 'em much.

( Can't imagine what people are so desperate to watch ! )

Waste of space and payload - especially nowadays when we can take recorded films on DVDs etc.

;-)

malc d - 2018-08-23 2:03 PM

Adiebt - 2018-08-23 12:59 PM

We are not taking the tellys ( for the first time ) on our Iberian adventure , loaded the iPads with all sorts ( iPlayer / Amazon / iTunes ) for emergencies :-) :-) :-)

Big bold decision or what ?

Not at all.

We've only taken a telly a couple of times in the last 15 years or so of motorhoming - and then didn't use 'em much.

( Can't imagine what people are so desperate to watch ! )

Waste of space and payload - especially nowadays when we can take recorded films on DVDs etc.

;-)

The reason we usually take em ( we have a self seeking 80cm dish with a Sky HD box with the full Sky package ) is that we are massive cricket fans but you can now access SkyGo in Europe .

When we got our van new, it came with a fancy and very heavy TV mounting bracket on the wall.

One of the first things I did was to remove it. Managed to get hold of some small sticky disks with wood-grain finish to match the interior of the van, so the screw holes could be hidden.

We're not interested in watching TV in the van. B-)

Guest pelmetman
mikebeaches - 2018-08-23 7:25 PM

When we got our van new, it came with a fancy and very heavy TV mounting bracket on the wall.

One of the first things I did was to remove it. Managed to get hold of some small sticky disks with wood-grain finish to match the interior of the van, so the screw holes could be hidden.

We're not interested in watching TV in the van. B-)

Blimey if your worried about the weight of a tv bracket 8-) .........Best not go near a weigh bridge :D ......

I can understand that it’s a major decision if you’ve always travelled with a TV but we have never taken a TV or DVD player on holiday. Our entertainment consists of CD’s, books, scrabble and a radio for the UK – pretty useless in Europe.

It’s strange how we all have our differing ways. Hope your decision proves to be successful. :-D

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2018-08-23 8:43 PM

I can understand that it’s a major decision if you’ve always travelled with a TV but we have never taken a TV or DVD player on holiday. Our entertainment consists of CD’s, books, scrabble and a radio for the UK – pretty useless in Europe.

It’s strange how we all have our differing ways. Hope your decision proves to be successful. :-D

Cattwg :-D

I would echos these sentiments but add that bbc radio podcasts are excellent and can be downloaded in Europe. Especially good on long road journeys to make time pass quickly. We also have some old radio series on cd. I never get tired of listening to Yes Minister/Primeminister.

Peter

What's the big deal with not carrying a TV? is it like alcoholism, once you watch one program you can't drag yourself away? We carry a TV, am not glued to it, actually it's more often than not playing the radio or not on at all as we spend a lot of time reading, that's of cause when we are not out and about exploring the sights and culture of the area we are in.

I would miss not having a telly in the van as I like to relax and watch a film of an evening unless we are playing a game - I don't read books. It is often the case that we can't get any reception so we take an iPad loaded with some movies downloaded from Netflix which we watch through the TV which is wired to a couple of additional speakers at the back of the van - big u-shaped lounges are so comfy.

Archived