Mail Forwarding

Guest Pat and Chris

Guest Pat and Chris
Can anyone advise us on how to pick up our surface mail while travelling in Europe (France, Spain and Portugal)? We are planning a trip of about a year with no real itinery.

Guest PeteC
One thng about mail forwarding is that you really need to know where you are going to set up the addresses to collect the mail from Otherwise you need someone at home who can post it on to you - to an address where you are going to stay fro a few weeks; if thats possible - we just move on at a whim - Look the sun is shinning over there & its raining here

Guest Clive
Get the kids to sort the mail at home. They can ring you if anything is urgent. Alternatively get your associates into the habit of using email and take a laptop and mobile phone enabled for GPRS. Sort our regular bills before you leave home. Either that horrible direct debit or pay in advance.

Guest Mel E
Two quick points: 1. I posted a letter from Spain on 5 Oct that reached its UK destination on 6 November! So you may have to stay somewhere a LONG time to pick up forwarded mail! 2. Be aware that you are only allowed to stay in an EU country for a maximum of 6 months, regardless of insurance. After that, you must 'import' you vehicle into the country concerned and re-register and re-insure it. I know lots of prople ignore this but it is a legal requirement in all EU countries. Pooping nest door into, say, France from Spain for a day does not count!

Guest Brian Ramsden
Page 175 of the January 2005 edition of the MMM has details of the Poste Restante system. This is part of the series A-Z of Full Timing, which I am sure you would find helpful.

Archived