Mann Fiat ducato Air filter

Earthmover

Hi everyone.

Can anyone provide the part number for a Mann air filter with the mesh insert (Think Mice)

for a Fiat Ducato 2,3 6B engine, or the borg/beck. Also are genuine Fiat spares available cheaper elsewhere, other than the main dealerships?.

Cheers Em

Earthmover

The Mann-Filter catalogue specifies two air filters suitable for a 2007-onwards Ducato X250/X290. The Part Numbers are C 17 237

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Air%20Filter/C%2017%20237

or (for use in dusty environments) C 17 237/1

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Air%20Filter/C%2017%20237~1

This on-line advert for the C 17 237 filter seems as cheap as any when postage and VAT are taken into account.

https://tinyurl.com/y5356amt

The (cheaper) Borg & Beck BFA2058 filter is advertised here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Borg-Beck-Air-Filter-BFA2058-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-5-YEAR-WARRANTY-/153978210037

and the (a lot more expensive) K&N filter is described here

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/fiat/ducato/2.3l-l4-diesel/2015/

Don’t forget that, although a metal ’tube’ down the centre of an air filter should inhibit rodents that find their way into the filter housing from going further towards the motor, it won’t prevent the rodents from entering the housing itself. For that, you’d need to fit some sort of protective ‘mesh’ that stops the rodents from entering the air intake that’s at the upper front section of the engine compartment. If the beggars can’t get into the intake, the filter won’t need a ‘anti-mice’ metal centre.

(A basic problem with seeking to buy components identical to those sold by a vehicle main dealership is identifying the manufacturer of the original equipment (OE) article. For example, though there are numerous wiper-blades marketed that are suitable for (say) a 2019 Ducato, the OE blades fitted in the Fiat factory do not carry a manufacturer’s mark. For wiper-blades this may not matter, as some ‘after market’ blades that cost a good deal less than the factory-fitted blades may be superior to (or at least as good as) the OE blades.)

I use Mann C17237 as indicated by Derek, and a sheet of rodent mesh (6mm square stainless steel) fitted between the slam panel crossmember and the air intake tube for the filter chamber. I cut a rubber spacer or gasket to fit around the lip on the crossmember so that the mesh sits flat across the aperture. Rather difficult to describe but you will se what I mean if you disconnect the inlet tube.

Deneb - 2020-08-08 10:14 AM........ I cut a rubber spacer or gasket to fit around the lip on the crossmember so that the mesh sits flat across the aperture. Rather difficult to describe but you will se what I mean if you disconnect the inlet tube.

....any chance of a photo?

I would like to fabricate something similar.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-08-09 8:50 AM

Unless Deneb recorded fitting the mesh when he did it, providing a photo may now prove difficult.

I didn't unfortunately.

In the link Derek has provided, there is a photo of the slam panel crossmember in Derek's post directly above mine. You can clearly see the lip around the two forward facing apertures in the crossmember - indicated by red arrows in the photo.

The central rear aperture is identical, except that the flange of the air feed pipe to the filter box fits around the lip of the aperture, secured to the crossmember by two screws. I cut a piece of rubber sheet of suitable thickness to fit around the rear aperture, so that I could lay a sheet of rodent mesh over it without the lip fouling it, and then screwed the air feed pipe back in place. You may need to fit slightly longer securing screws for the feed pipe as the flange will be sitting slightly further from the crossmember, the distance determined by the thickness of the rubber sheet used to make the gasket. I would caution against making it any thicker than the amount by which the flange projects, a couple of millimetres at most from memory, as the feed pipe is a moulded plastic part and if you need to move it too far away from the crossmember it will be under stress when refitted.

Air enters the crossmember through the two front apertures indicated by Derek in his photo, and is drawn through the rear aperture and through the feed pipe into the air filter box. So to prevent rodent entry, you have the option of securing both front apertures, or the single rear aperture. Either should prove efffective, but if you choose the rear one, as I did, you only have to do one, not both. Plus the flange of the air pipe and its existing securing screws makes it easier to secure the mesh without making up additional fixings.

Deneb - 2020-08-09 9:15 AM

...Air enters the crossmember through the two front apertures indicated by Derek in his photo, and is drawn through the rear aperture and through the feed pipe into the air filter box. So to prevent rodent entry, you have the option of securing both front apertures, or the single rear aperture. Either should prove efffective, but if you choose the rear one, as I did, you only have to do one, not both. Plus the flange of the air pipe and its existing securing screws makes it easier to secure the mesh without making up additional fixings.

In practice Deneb’s method is likely to be the only realistic approach that guarantees that a skinny mouse cannot sneak into the air intake.

The photo attached below is of an X290’s engine compartment (incidentally, the vehicle in the photo happens to be a Peugeot Boxer) and shows the two large arrowed-in-red front apertures, but the cross-member is also open at each end (arrowed in green) and there are other holes in it (eg. for the bonnet release cable) at its rear and (possibly) hidden underneath at the front too (arrowed in blue).

The two screws that hold the air feed pipe to the cross-member go into small plastic ‘clips’ that are easily visible if a torch is shone through the large front apertures. I did wonder if I could fix a protective mesh to the clips working through one of the front apertures (I have small slim hands) but concluded that Deneb’s approach was best.

1967031608_enginecompartment.jpg.33d679e789ab640d1161af0f89ade8a6.jpg

The mesh on my x250 is mounted on a 1/4" thick piece of SRBF and fixed at rear between inlet and crossmember, on mine there are multiple holes that a mouse could get through, the x290 crossmember is slightly different and have not looked to see how many holes a mouse could get through.

Many thanks. I had a good look at my Ducato engine bay yesterday and concluded much the same. The cross member has too many holes to be made mouse proof by fixing individual pieces of mesh. I shall try and fix mine up in much the same way as you outlined and achieved.

I brought mine off Inoxia, from their Ebay shop, IIRC was a 6" square. The type of mesh must have been discussed on one of the earlier threads, don't get too carried away with too small a hole size as it might restrict airflow.

To be rodent proof, the generally accepted specification is a maximum hole size of 6mm and at least 0.6mm wire gauge, preferably 1mm and stainless steel as mice are apparently quite capable of chewing through softer or smaller diameter steel wire.

Whilst you can probably select a suitable product from Innoxia there are dedicated suppliers of "rodent mesh" as Google will reveal. I bought a roughly A4 sized sheet of 6mm X 1mm stainless mesh, and whilst I can't remember what I paid for it, compared to the cost of fishing out a dead rodent and repairing the damage it will likely have caused the cost was minimal. Less than a replacement air filter anyway.

laimeduck - 2020-08-10 11:06 AM

You might want to consider copper mesh - as used by professional pest control firms. Much easier to work with than stainless and a good mesh size for airflow.

Plus it cannot rust.

I believe copper mesh is intended to be pushed into holes as a tight roll or bundle rather like wire wool, for which it's malleability is ideal, and wouldn't be suitable as a single sheet across the surface of a vent or aperture. Used in that way, it has the potential to restrict airflow much more than a single stainless mesh sheet.

Deneb - 2020-08-10 11:28 AM

laimeduck - 2020-08-10 11:06 AM

You might want to consider copper mesh - as used by professional pest control firms. Much easier to work with than stainless and a good mesh size for airflow.

Plus it cannot rust.

I believe copper mesh is intended to be pushed into holes as a tight roll or bundle rather like wire wool, for which it's malleability is ideal, and wouldn't be suitable as a single sheet across the surface of a vent or aperture. Used in that way, it has the potential to restrict airflow much more than a single stainless mesh sheet.

Yes you are correct but it can also be easily sandwiched in a frame as well and makes a good barrier. All you have to do is prevent the mouse - the nature of the beast is that they will explore & exploit then move on if they cannot gain entry.

To block a hole where airflow is not important you can use aluminium foil, or metal scourers or wire wool as a temporary measure.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-08-10 9:41 AM

The attached drawing shows the relavant components (1, 13 & 14) for a Ducato X290

This link may be useful if just a small area of mesh is required (I haven’t checked delivery charges)

https://www.inoxia.co.uk/products/mesh/sheets?role=menuitem&tabindex=-1

For the record, Inoxia’s basic shipping cost is £1 for a weight up to 250g.

I’d probably opt for “Woven Wire Mesh, 3 Mesh” (304 stainless steel, 3 wires per inch, 7.3mm holes, 1.2mm wires)

https://www.inoxia.co.uk/products/mesh/sheets/3-mesh

and a 15cm x 15cm size should be sufficient. (£2.99 total cost) for protecting the air intake.

(Any mouse able to get through a sqare 7.3mm hole deserves to have a chew on my Ducato’s K&N air filter.)

Archived