Map References

Guest Alf W

I want to use the Map References given in the Camping and Caravan Club Big Sites Book in conjunction with Microsoft Autoroute Express. I have worked out that, for sites on mainland UK I have to get the Square Reference in letters and add that to the front of the given 6 figure reference. But what about the references given for sites in Ireland ? Do they relate to the Irish Grid System and if so can they be translated for Autotoute ?

Guest Yorkshire Tike
Bill h That is when "quoting" a reference ie if you are seeking help from the mountain rescue or plotting a position for the artillary We are wanting to find where we are going from a give reference point ie the mountain rescue looking to find the LOST person/casualty First find the Eastings These are give along the top and bottom of the map (first three numbers in the reference) Then locate the Northings These are given on the uprights of the map so change your methods to Along the hallway (passage) and up the stairs Long time fellwalker, ex military, ex Nat Park Ranger. Now retired and full time traveller Now if you want rescuing You must find your Eastings from your position Go up/down the nearest verticle line to the edge of the map & read the numbers on that margin Then go along the verticle line to the Left or Right (verticle) margine

Bill H, I was in the Senior Service, the Boy Scouts, we used, expressed in layman’s terms, 'Along the Passage and Up the Stairs. In other words in the more professional jargon, as Yorkshire Tike says, Eastings then Northings. The correct way and most logical way of doing this is by first heading East (Eastings) along the bottom of the map and then heading North (Northings) up the right hand side of the map. Using Compass, Map and Grid Reference is much more satisfying than relying on a GPS!

PS. Wait until you go to New Zealand. North is South and South is North so to speak. Go left and its right. Go right and its left. and no use looking for the end of the handle of the Plough either? bil h

Guest Alfred I Watt
Can I encourage all you nice people back to the start. I was a Boy Scout too and know about Eastings and Northings. The original question was "Can I translate the Map References for Ireland in the C&CC Big Sites Book onto Autoroute Express ?" I can for UK mainland but Ireland ???

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Sorry A 1 Watt We got lost in reading our maps Why not just put the references given into your Autoroute program and see where it says you are If it is the campsite you are looking for you can use them in anger as they say If I could find my C&CC book I would try it but they have been tidied away The references in the Camping Cheque book work on my Autoroute

Archived