Marquis Starspirit / Lunar Telstar - changing from a caravan!

Guest Lynn

We are considering changing from a caravan to a motorhome and are looking for a rear lounge on as small a motorhome as we can get. We have been really impressed by a Marquis Starspirit (on a 2.0L, 2.2L or 2.8L Peugeot) Any idea on what we could expect on fuel returns, reliability of engine or indeed what engine we should choose? We have also read excellent reviews of the Lunar Telstar on a Renault engine (2.5L) and although this is a mid-bed, might it be worth considering for its good engine?

Have owned a Lunar for two years, had nothing but trouble.present problem being going on since Jan and still not resolved. foxy

Guest Derek Uzzell
If you opt for the Starspirit, choose either the 2.2 litre or 2.8 litre motor. This is a relatively large, relatively heavy (3400kg chassis) motorhome and the 2.0 litre motor's 84PS is not really adequate to pull such a vehicle around. You need to be a mite careful with Lunar as part of the range is built in the UK and part is built in Belgium. Champ models fall into the latter category, being effectively 'anglicised' Home-Car designs. I'm not sure about Telstar's birth-country - probably the UK.

Guest Roy Hamilton
Although it is much bigger than you are looking for my Lunar Roadstar 720 has no problems and I have not seen anything else to match it despite wandering around lots of dealers. I thought I would provide some defence. The Belgians built some very good vehicle bodies whether for motorhomes or commercial vehicles (Basically the same insulated thing).

Guest Wilf Nicholson
Hi Roy, Please think very hard before choosing an Autocruise. I had a Wentworth for 2 years and it dropped to pieces. Everything from cabinetwork to 3 sets of heating down to the need for a respray due to all lockers etc changing to various white shades, eleven in total. After travelling over 1500 miles for repairs enough was enough so I went back to German quality and reliability. After 7 months no probelms. British manufacturers have had it as far as Im concerned and after 20 years and 9 motorhomes the reality has now set in.My friend foolishly purchased an Autocruise Starblazer last year and we spent Christmas / New Year rewiring the sockets due to a totally back to front wiring system with earths into lives and negative to earth etc. Anyway good luck in any choice. Wilf

Archived