Master Key for Fiat

Guest paul stevens

Guest paul stevens
No master key was handed over when I bought a seondhand motorhome on a 1998 Fiat Ducato 2.5 tdi Maxi base vehicle. Is this important? What parts of the engine are irreparable without it?

hi Paul without the key you may not be able to get spare keys and gain access to the managment system.To get a new one you have to have the managment system changed and the ignition lock, at a cost around £800. good luck les.

Guest Stuart
Hello Paul, I had the same problem. The garage I used came up with a much more cost effective solution - they removed the Fiat immobiliser which was quite quick and painless. This then means that keys can be cut and the management system accessed without needing the red key. You can then get a new immobiliser fitted (if you want to) for £90 to £100.

Guest Derek Uzzell
A caveat on this - motorhome dealers know all about 'red keys' - Fiat is not the only manufacturer to employ this type of system - and may be cagey about accepting a trade-in if the vehicle has no master-key (or will seek to impose a hefty price adjustment.) Conversely, if one is in the market for a motorhome employing a master-key system, there might be a need to be proactive about obtaining the key should the vendor conveniently 'forget' to mention its existence!

Guest paul stevens
Thanks for replies. Update: The previous 2 owners (back to 2000),on this 1998 vehicle, never had the red key either, so I've managed to establish. There is a Cobra immobiliser fitted. Fiat now say to cut a new ignition key and if it works then the Fiat code system obviously has been de-commisioned and interventions will be possible if needed. But why would this have been done? Is the Cobra system better than the original Fiat code?

Guest Stuart
Paul, I suspect that someone has de-commissioned the Fiat code system because the red key had been lost and then had the cobra system fitted so that the vehicle has an immobiliser.

Archived