Memory Foam?

Tracker

After an absense of a few years we are contemplating getting another van as we miss the nomadic wandering.

Budgetary constraints mean it will likely be an older van and it will need to be compact, the choice is wide and that we can handle once Covid allows us to look and evaluate. Reasonable modifications I can still handle but no longer major refurbs.

There are lots of issues to resolve when downsizing but the main issue that dogs us in old age is bed comfort - or discomfort - as life without a good night's kip is not a lot of fun!

We are not keen on fixed beds preferring the old fashioned less space greedy layout of convertable bed/seat.

Does anyone have any experience of how memory foam, which is designed for 'laid down' weight distribution rather than being sat on, performs and lasts as a seat, whether it be for dining or feet up lounging?

Thanks.

When we had our mattresses made for the van we where specifically asked if they would be used for seating.

AFAIK no mattresses are 100% MF, and they are made up of different layers depending on the job.

I've got to say we have gone away from using MF, even the Gel ones seem to get quite hot, we now have a 2 1/2" 'Putnam' eggbox topper over the mattress, although at moment with my hip problems I've got it doubled up on my side of bed at home (firm'ish Vi-Spring mattress) and it works brilliantly.

We use 2 single sized Duvalay memory foam toppers on our made up double in our '95 Eclipse, We also bought the fitted sheets to go with them. Reason we went for singles rather than a double is that they are easier to stow during the day or for travel.

with the seat cushions upside down and the toppers on, it has made sleeping far more comfortable than just with the seat cushions and a sheet.

Being toppers I don't think they would be any good as seat cushions though.

Tracker - 2021-02-17 10:55 AM

Does anyone have any experience of how memory foam, which is designed for 'laid down' weight distribution rather than being sat on, performs and lasts as a seat, whether it be for dining or feet up lounging?

I guess it will see you out ;-)

Tracker - 2021-02-17 10:55 AM

Thanks.

You're Welcome :-D

Nominated for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award for Tact & Diplomacy

In 2017 we had a coachbuilt Executive Anniversary, quite the best van we have ever had and I regret selling it when I was ill.

We used Duvalays then as storage space was not an issue and changing the 1" memory foam that came with the Duvalays for a 2" high quality memory foam made the bed much more comfortable, albeit making the rolled up Duvalays much more of a handful.

If we go ahead now it will need to be a panel van and as most of us know there is a worrld of difference in the volume available for internal storage in a van conversion compared to a coachbuilt of similar length, which is why we would be contemplating replacing the hard seat/bed foam with a softer more back friendly memory foam to save space.

We use two single Duvalay toppers in the fitted sheets. They are the thinner version, about 25mm I think but they are very comfortable and not too bulky. Fit in an under seat locker along with two single duvets, four pillows and a blanket plus some other bits and pieces. I put them side by side between the front wall of the locker and the wheel arch on top of the duvets and they can really squash them down a fair bit so they take up less room than you would think.

We've used a memory foam mattress for several years and very satisfied with it chosen at the time mainly as it needed shaping to fit in the van and I could cut it to fit. But since we've replaced the mattress at home with the same 10 " depth for both 4" of memory 6" of base cuts easily with a electric carving knife both arrived shrunk wrapped and rolled. I don't see any reason it would not do for a seat cushion one piece I cut off has been one in my workshop for 6 yrs

https://tinyurl.com/y7meydqy

Hi Rich

We have a u shape rear lounge pvc and can agree that the seats are to hard when made into 2 single beds.

We use duvaley 2” inch memory foam toppers and the bed is very comfortable,

Because as you know a pvc has limited storage we leave the toppers in place fold the duvays in half cover with a throw not as pretty as being put away but hey it’s normally only the two of us that see it and of course your bed is ready when you are.

I am at present looking at replacing the seating with 2 proper mattresses you can get them made with whatever type of foam you like.

I have spoken to a company that attends the Lincoln show ( mellow mattresses) and they will make to your specifications on foam density and come with a proper mattress cover.

Nice to hear you are returning to the motorhoming family again good luck with your search.

Regards Brian

Ps we have been using the toppers for 5 years as seats and they are as good as new

Best wishes for your health and a good journey back into the motorhome life.

With limited storage space in a PVC I read that you were trying to avoid bulky mattress toppers?

When we bought our 2006 Exsis SG, we found the dinnette and bench seat bases too soft.

Within a month we had some new bases made up from a foam/bed supplier using 4" Reflex Foam (blue I thunk? - we had a choice of density levels) topped with a 1" layer of memory foam. This gave firmer support for sitting on and the memory foam sufficient "give" for sleeping on. We made new covers because of the extra thickness...........you could try thicker memory foam say up to 30mm, but anymore may be squishy for sitting on

They are still fine after 14 years and it works well for us in our mid seventies.

Regards, Fred

How about having firm foam as the top layer of the seat cushion with thickish memory foam for the lower layer? Then, when the cushions were converted into a bed, they could be inverted so that the memory foam layer was uppermost.

(We would prefer our Rapido’s seat cushions to be a mite firmer, but replacing their foam interiors professionally would be expensive, while their shaping and construction makes DIYing the task challenging with no certainty that the result would be satisfactory. (I butchered an ancient Dunlopillo latex mattress as an experiment but that was a total failure.) In practice - and after I had mentioned the cost to my wife - we decided not to bother as the Rapido has a good sized island bed with a comfortable Bultex foam mattress.)

It's difficult to give Motorhome lifestyle up Rich, ain't it.

As you would presumably investing in memory foam toppers/Duralay, etc., but create a storage conundrum, i think it would be advisable to talk to the likes of furnishing reupholsters /memory foam suppliers, regarding the possibility of replacing the existing seat cushions.

Benefit would be a made to measure fit & eliminate storage requiements.

If the existing seat cushions have sagged with use, it maybe possible to just insert a memory foam layer for minimal cost.

flicka - 2021-02-20 11:52 AM

Cont;-

To further limit financial impact.

It may be possible you would only need to add memory foam to the seat bases, as the backrest sections are where the pillows go & feet the other side.

Most I have seen made up, the backrests are used as the infills in the center between the seat bases, the knee roll is at the foot and head of the bed even with the bases upside down, mine definitely are made up that way.

Tracker - 2021-02-17 8:55 AM

After an absense of a few years we are contemplating getting another van as we miss the nomadic wandering.

Great news Rich. When we met in 2019 I did get the impression you were missing being able to head off when it suited. With your experience I am confident you will make a good choice of vehicle. No experience with memory foam but Duvalay gets the thumbs up from everyone I have spoken with that owns one. cheers,

Thanks guys for your help, and for those of you that have sent messages of kind wishes - very much appreciated, thanks.

Like most cats there seem to be several ways of skinning or stuffing 'em!!

It's a chicken and egg situation - can't really decide on a solution until we get a van - but if we have no viable solution we ain't getting a van - SWMBO says so - and I am not brave enough to defy her!!

We shall see when Uncle Boris turns us all free again and shows re-open to go get some ideas.

Archived