Mercedes 2.7ltr Automatic

bobmaddison

Hi, due to medical reasons we have to change to an auto vehicle. Our old vehicle was a Fiat Ducato. We have found a suitable replacement on a 05 Merc 2.7 ltr. . Is there any problems with this model, has anyone got experience of this vehicle. I cannot fi8nd any test reports.

Its a Hymer body.

I used one in a French body from new in 2006 over 6 years and apart from a few niggles with the bodywork it served me well. Of the engine and auto side it never failed or became difficult.

Any different mechanism needs adapting to and they all have their quirks, provided you do this you should manage well, whatever you think don't fight it, learn how to manage it.

The reason for changes were family disabilities worsening, increased traffic around where we live, and we did all we intended in the UK and overseas. Apart from those natural causes I'm sure we would still be using it. The present VW is mainly a short stay vehicle to suit our ages.

Bob I see your replies were almost zero which is the reason why I chose a Mercedes powered van as there were no adverse comments and they're easy to sell for the same reason.

Its pointless buying a product that needs constant repair as are seen on these forums !

I've got a 2001 merc with Hymer body , drives like a dream.

The 2 back glow plugs have failed but still always starts on first turn even in winter.

I've been advised to leave well alone as if they were to snap ( which they are prone to do ) whilst trying to remove them then the head would have to come off , engine out and expensive job.

I've put Aeon rubber spring assistors in place of he bump stops which was very cheap to do and made an immediate improvement to the driving as it used to wallow around a bit .

bobmaddison - 2019-02-04 10:28 AMHi, due to medical reasons we have to change to an auto vehicle. Our old vehicle was a Fiat Ducato. We have found a suitable replacement on a 05 Merc 2.7 ltr. . Is there any problems with this model, has anyone got experience of this vehicle. I cannot fi8nd any test reports. Its a Hymer body.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

We have the MB 2.7 ltr engine. Our Hymer is the Starline 700G.
We have owned this vehicle from new since 2007.

It's on a 4 ton base vehicle, Sprintshift Auto gear box.
The engine will be a 5 pot, which according to our local MD garage was 1 of the best balance engines MB ever built. It will also have a "Chain" timing belt.
If like ours, the 2.7ltr engine will produce 157 BHP.
Ours has twin rear wheels on a single rear axle.
It may be termed as a 416, which signifies a 4 ton base.
Touch wood, it's never missed a beat, and we have it serviced regularly, served us very well whilst mainly touring Germany.
Last year spent over 2 months touring around mainly using "Stellplatzs"

Hope this information is useful.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the ‘automatic’ gearbox used with a 2005 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter will be the Sprintshift robotised-manual transmission. This got bad press for its slow and idiosyncratic gear-changing and, eventually, it was dropped by Mercedes in favour of a more traditional torque-converter auto-box.

GOOGLE-searching on "mercedes sprinter sprintshift” may be worthwhile.

From 2001, I had two Mercedes with Sprintshift robotised gearboxes both of which I kept for six years. I found the chassis to wallow more than the Fiat Ducato but they gave a good ride otherwise. I liked the gearbox once I got used to its characteristics.

On the second one, I had to replace a clutch due to burnout from regular reversing up a slope. Partly my fault but should have coped.

• 2 weeks later...
Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-22 1:39 PM

I believe the ‘automatic’ gearbox used with a 2005 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter will be the Sprintshift robotised-manual transmission. This got bad press for its slow and idiosyncratic gear-changing and, eventually, it was dropped by Mercedes in favour of a more traditional torque-converter auto-box.

GOOGLE-searching on "mercedes sprinter sprintshift” may be worthwhile.

Mercedes did 2 gearboxes of this era, also as well as the sprintshift they did the full automatic torque converter which is much more desirable and reliable.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-03-06 8:03 AM

Yes, though the ‘norm’ for Sprinter-based motorhomes marketed around 2005 seems to be for them to have had the Sprintshift transmission not the torque-converter ‘box. As you say, the latter is preferable.

Yes the norm was the sprintshift however there were quite a few full autos on Hymers of this era too, our 2004 Hyme r was the full torque converter, the sprintshift was available on the 316 and 416 but not the 616, that was manual or full auto only.

Archived