Mercedes Courtesy/security Cab light fitting

Corky 8

Just a heads up to any of you with a Mercedes Sprinter Camper/Motorhome which has a Courtesy light containing two switches for anti theft within the unit, The Cab Aerial is directly above this unit, and unfortunately for us whilst in the heatwave in France last year the heat, some 41 degrees dried out the Adhesive tape between the Aerial and roof this tape holds the aerial in place while the holding nut is tightened ,the tape releasing allowed the nut to become loose,  when it did rain it came in down the Aerial lead and into the light unit, and not just a drip, We found a Garage who was able to remove the light fitting and show us the dried up tape and said the Holding nut for the aerial would have come loose when the tape dried out.?  then he Used a black sealant to waterproof the hole before tightening the holding nut up Tight , But the courtesy lights no longer worked  the switches for the Security part did, the unit was full of water and the unit contains a printed circuit Which I surmise was shorted out. I checked all the relevant fuses None had blown. This while it was in Warranty but I did not get a receipt from the Garage so cannot prove this to Mercedes.    Prior to my annual service with ****** ( Mercedes agents) which was pre paid for I phoned them and asked if they could acquire and fit a new unit, they could and the unit would cost £282 15, (with discount)I could not source one myself. so requested they went ahead, I informed them that the security Part was still working, and I would require the old unit back. Yesterday I took my Camper into ******* and the service was done and the New light was fitted and I settled the Bill and I asked was the old light in my Van , No, so the chap retrieved it for me, it being a really cold  I just place the old unit in the Camper and drove home, on my return I took the old unit into the house and Noticed the Security part of the fitting was not in the Old unit and on checking found it was fitted to the new unit in the Camper , So where is the New security switches out of the New unit, ???? that I am trying to find out. and this from the 2019 Premier Service Provider.

----------------------------------------
Cab Light             £282.15  (Inc Discount)
Tech clocking line £55   ?????  (fitting light ) ?
Total                    £363 15.....+ 20% VAT = £72 63 grand total £480.78.but only£337 15 for light and fitting , +VAT =£404.38
Which is Very expensive for just a cab light.   So check your roof Aerial is tight and I advise putting sealant around it.

I don't know the specifics of the Sprinter overhead console, but it may be that a replacement overhead unit does not come complete with all of control units or other items fitted within it, and these are expected to be removed from the old unit and fitted to the replacement, unless they also require replacing due to faults, in which case they may have to be ordered separately at additional cost.

For instance, on modern vehicles it is quite common for security related components to be tied to the vehicle they are fitted in, and if a new components has to be fitted, it needs to be programmed into the vehicle so that it is recognised by, and can communicate with the security system. That is part of the security of the system; it is designed to prevent thieves from easily swapping components that would allow the system to be bypassed or deactivated. Sometimes, switches are not just switches, they contain their own miniature electronics which "pass-on" communications through the vehicle control network that may not be intended for the device that the switch itself controls. In other words, they may act as mini-nodes on the network to facilitate signals to and from other equipment, as well as controlling a separate specific feature.

If for example, I were to order a replacement overhead console for my car, it would be supplied with the interior light control unit, since that is integral to the console. But unless I ordered them separately, I would be expected to re-use the original interior lamp that clips into the console, and the mirror control unit, rains sensor module and forward radar module that are also fitted within it, but not part of the console itself.

As I say, I'm not familiar with the Sprinter unit as such, but I suspect if you ask the dealer, they will explain to you what they have done and why.

• 3 weeks later...
Deneb, Sorry for the late response, and Thank you for your input, I had the Courtesy light ordered and fitted by local Merc service centre a Mere £280, :{   As you said the security part of the light in the old unit was still serviceable and came separate if required, I asked for the old unit back and found the Printed circuit of the Lighting was fried, so could only salvage the bulbs and light lenses, Happy its all fixed now.  Still Happy with my Camper. 

Archived