Mercedes Mirage 6000 Roof Mushroom Vents

lushusness

Hello All,

Last time I posted, I had great feedback so I'm hoping for the same.

One of our mushroom roof vents has failed and we need a replacement.

We have tried every way we can think of to buy a new one but they all measure differently from ours.

Ours measure 170mm diameter hole with a 210mm fixing circle inside the cab.

Any ideas where we might buy a pair even?

Many thanks.

I came across this 2006 MHFacts enquiry about Mirage roof vents. (There were no replies...)

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/30-parts-accessories/17013-mirage-roof-vent.html#post149806

As Buddy has advised, you might try looking at vents intended for boats. However, all the marine vents being advertised seem to be significantly smaller than what you are looking for (ie. the ‘hole’ diameter is well below 170mm).

The 2006 MHFacts posting suggests that - 21 years after your Mirage was built - the chances of you nowadays obtaining an exact replacement vent have got to be minimal.

If you have the old one, or parts of the remaining one., you might be able to find someone with cad and 3D printer to make the parts.

I have recently seen some 3D printing done at school by friends of my grandson, truly amazing.

When I was at school, the most technical piece of equipment was a hard cover logarithm book ! Still got it somewhere ??

Rgds

lushusness - 2021-10-19 4:48 PM.......................

One of our mushroom roof vents has failed and we need a replacement.

We have tried every way we can think of to buy a new one but they all measure differently from ours.

Ours measure 170mm diameter hole with a 210mm fixing circle inside the cab............................................

Many thanks.

Can you enlarge on what you mean by "failed"? For example, is it a mechanical vent with a fan, or merely a passive vent (no moving parts) - or is it leaking?

Could you perhaps post pictures to illustrate the parts that you need to replace?

Is the "hole" the aperture in the van roof, through which the vent itself passes, or the clear aperture of the vent itself? What is the condition of the external weatherproofing "mushroom"?

I'm visualising a flat internal flange or trim of 210mm external dia, through which a 170mm internal dia. exhaust tube rises through the van roof to (presumably) terminate beneath an outer, mushroom shaped, weatherproof cowl.

But I can't for the life of me visualise what may have failed, in what way, or where! :-)

Brian

In the MHFacts thread I provided a link to above the part was described as a “round pop up mushroom vent which seems to be unique to Mirage” and (in 2006) was available from Marquis for £60.

This advert is for a 2000 Mirage 6000

http://airevalleycampers.co.uk/vehicle/mirage-6000-rhd-a-class-4-berth-motorhome-like-hymer-mercedes-benz-2900-diesel/

and I believe the vents are the items I’ve arrowed in the attachment below.

As far as I can make out their purpose is to provide ventilation when the large overcab bed is lowered and being slept in. They won’t be ‘powered’, but can be manually opened and closed, operating similarly to how many marine mushroom vents do.

The likelihood is that the vents are made from plastic (the MHFacts posting mentions the top having cracked) which is going to be vulnerable to age deterioration, never mind their their potential for being whacked by tree branches.

vents.png.874036a71b4ef806fa1cd6b2583c88e0.png

• 6 months later...

Aha.......a fellow Mirage 6000 owner..we are very rare people.

I to have a failed mushroom vent on my van. Although mine is the one above the washroom area.(currently sealed with good old gaffer tape) it's seems to me as if the plastic gets old and cracks. LOVE to know if you found one and of course where. Also be good to chat about our vans...seeing as we are a very few amongst a very large community.

Graham

Archived