Message for Clive

Guest david lloyd

Guest david lloyd
Hi Clive Mel E recommends your method of wiring an inverter into a new motorhome to allow automatic changeover of all sockets from 240v mains supply to inverter supply (see my post Maplins 300 watt inverter). I have some time before the van arrives so would it be possible for you to let me have the wiring details? Many thanks, david

Certainly, You should find it all at www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/INVERTER.htm If you would like any other data please give me a phone no or email address Good luck Clive

Guest david lloyd
Hi Clive Thank you for the info on automatic switching for 240v/inverter - it's a great idea. I have done some mains electric work (once built a bungalow and did all my own elecs but not the final connection - just in case!) but I may just get someone to do this for me. Just a couple of things though: Do the parts need to come from RS - if so are they mailorder or do you have contact details? If no then will there be equivalent parts at somewhere like Maplins? It's a Maplins 300 watt inverter I have just bought - this will obviously have limitations on how many items it will run so is it still worth me going to the lengths of auto changeover? and if I did would I still need to wire the grounding pin on the side of the inverter to the chassis? Sorry about the extra questions but perhaps you could me a ring on 01287 631292 or e-mail david.loyd@tiscali.co.uk Many thanks, david

Guest Clive
Hi again David, Good to chat on the phone. The contactor is a double pole change over type and is rated for three phase voltages. You need this voltage rating because the contactor may be asked to switch when the inverter is running and the mains hookup is then plugged in. Both supplies may at that instant be at peak voltage before the inverter swicthes off. Not many electrical outlets will sell this particular double pole change over variant, but RS components keep it in stock. Farnell may as well. Maplin I don,t know. Anyone can order from RS today, not just trade! www.rswww.com is the web address. All you need is a little patience to register yourself on the site and a plastic card and it will arrive on your doorstep. The pilot neon to remind you that the inverter is ON also serves to tell when the mains hookup is live. RS sell small neon lights that you could incorporate into an existing socket outlet if you wished. However the principal reason for this pilot light is so you don,t leave the inverter running when it is not required. This function could also be satisfied with a low voltage LED light connected to the remote inverter 12 volt ON/OFF switch. Its whatever suits your layout that is best. Any half reasonable sparky should be able to work this one out without too much trouble. For your own peace of mind, if you are getting someone else to do this work or not it should at least be inspected by someone qualified. I would hope that the dealer supplying your van should be qualified to do this work if you asked them. Let us know how you get on Regards Clive

Archived